Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulietta QC Launch Edition
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently having two really terrible problems with my pampered, money pit, 1998 Spider.

Firstly, the ******* is still not starting some times (approx 1 per week). The engine turns over and everything sounds perfect - except it doesn't start. It never had trouble starting until about two weeks ago. The fuel injection light remains on. It also happened when the car had been kept in a heated garage for two days, so we can rule out dampness.
I can solve the problem by disconnecting the battery for 24 hours, but I'm sure you can see how this could be inconvenient some times :lol:

Secondly, the brakes are extremely soft and ineffective. The car is running new pads and discs, but during the brake bleeding procedure I realised that I am getting an unlimited about of air from the RHS rear wheel. I've run perhaps, 4-5 litres through that pipe and I'm still getting a constant stream of air - so I can only assume it's drawing it in somewhere.

So, to summarise, my car will not start - which is a good job, as the brake don't work. Right now, it's just sitting outside of my house looking smug - all shiney and useless. As you can probably tell, I'm ****ed off. I really love driving my Spider, so when it's not running I constantly have a weight on my mind.

Currently I cannot afford to take it to a machanic, as I am completely skint (mainly due to other Alfa related issuse). Does any one know how I could begin diagnosing either one of these problems?

Tony

PS does any one know if 'Veloce' in troon are any good?

R

·
0 Posts
I am getting an unlimited about of air from the RHS rear wheel. I've run perhaps, 4-5 litres through that pipe and I'm still getting a constant stream of air - so I can only assume it's drawing it in somewhere.
Didn't you put new flexi hoses on, or am I thinking of someone else? If air is getting in, fluid MAY be able to get out at the same spot. Do the bleed nipple back up, get someone to apply the brakes (as much as possible) and check the unions for leaks.

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulietta QC Launch Edition
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No new hoses for me. Although I did have to take the rear calipers off, remove and refit the caliper piston as it'd become seized. I've cast my eye over it a few times, but I just can't find a leak. Plus, the level isn't dropping at all.
Since I've owned the car, braking has been almost unacceptable. Bleeding the system, new pads and discs has only amplified that problem though.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I'm currently having two really terrible problems with my pampered, money pit, 1998 Spider.

Firstly, the ******* is still not starting some times (approx 1 per week). The engine turns over and everything sounds perfect - except it doesn't start. It never had trouble starting until about two weeks ago. The fuel injection light remains on. It also happened when the car had been kept in a heated garage for two days, so we can rule out dampness.
I can solve the problem by disconnecting the battery for 24 hours, but I'm sure you can see how this could be inconvenient some times :lol:

Secondly, the brakes are extremely soft and ineffective. The car is running new pads and discs, but during the brake bleeding procedure I realised that I am getting an unlimited about of air from the RHS rear wheel. I've run perhaps, 4-5 litres through that pipe and I'm still getting a constant stream of air - so I can only assume it's drawing it in somewhere.

So, to summarise, my car will not start - which is a good job, as the brake don't work. Right now, it's just sitting outside of my house looking smug - all shiney and useless. As you can probably tell, I'm ****ed off. I really love driving my Spider, so when it's not running I constantly have a weight on my mind.

Currently I cannot afford to take it to a machanic, as I am completely skint (mainly due to other Alfa related issuse). Does any one know how I could begin diagnosing either one of these problems?

Tony

PS does any one know if 'Veloce' in troon are any good?
Sorry to hear of your brake problem ,time to upgrade to braided hoses i think ,they make the pedal feel less mushy .
I have used Auto Veloce in Troon for my GTV a few times and i have always been happy with the work carried out .They seem to be always busy so it might be worth dropping in or giving them a call to see if they can solve your problems.

·
Registered
32 Posts
sorry cannot help with the engine gremlin , try clamping the flexy pipe to the dodgy caliper first, try the pedal, if it feels better you might of nicked the o ring putting the piston back in, if that failes to show anything, power bleed one at a time with the other three clamped off, should work, my 05 spider brakes are ****e no feel to them at all, just mushy, good luck

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
can't help with the brakes but as for the non starting issue. does the code light stay on too. as i had this prob, and it was down to the sensor in the key/ignition barrel. found that on occassion the code light stayed on and it was blamed on the signal not recieving properly for the key. new key/used the spare and no probs!!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
another possibility for not starting is the crank position sensor, i beleive if it is faulty it will produce the fault you are getting and dissconnecting the battery may be removing the fault for a short period of time, try a thread search on the crank position sensor and see if it sounds like your problem :thumbs:

·
0 Posts
I would guess the caliper is the problem - clamp the flexihose -mole grips will do but protect it first - and see if the pedal becomes firm.. Then try the other wheels in turn to see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
As for the starting thing, do cheapest option (and easy)first.Remove panel behind drivers light and replace the three relays.One is fuel pump one is for the injection and the other A/C.I had the same thing as you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts