Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
my wifes 44000 miler with full alfa service history has for the second time in 2 weeks, just stopped!
First time in 2nd gear at low revs it just died, and yesterday same thing in 6th at about 70mph.The engine management lights as well as others came on as the car engine cut out. First time it happened, car started up and ran ok straight away, and the second time it took about 10 mins before it would start. I have notice on a few accessions a little hiccup or stumble, but other than thatit runs fine-a long run yesterday was faultless!
Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
You should start with reading the fault codes, could be anything. Anychance the engine wasregenerating the soot filter when this happened?

You're just about due a fuel filter, and a clogged fuel filter can cause the engine to stall when fuel demand is high. There would be a code stored in the ecu (something like "fuel pressure too low") in that case.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had a similar issue on my 159 .. Was the main injector wiring loom chafing against the engine to the point of wearing through the harness outer fabric and individual cable insulation so was effectively sorting out the injector control circuitry randomly. Symptoms were beer similar to those you describe

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
When in dynamic mode with the boost gauge displayed, does it boost fully? Could be turbo on the way out (I have replaced a few).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all-went to the local dealer, who changed the fuel filter and run diagnostics and it did not show anything, so I thought problem solved, but no-it did the same thing again tonight!
Would the turbo be a candidate at 44,000 miles?

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
Thanks all-went to the local dealer, who changed the fuel filter and run diagnostics and it did not show anything, so I thought problem solved, but no-it did the same thing again tonight!
Would the turbo be a candidate at 44,000 miles?
Could be - only takes a minute to remove the air intake and have a feel of the impellor to check for play.

How many oil changes has it had in 44k miles?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I dont think ive seen a single thread for a confirmed 2.0 diesel turbo failure so would be very surprised if this ends up being root cause unless the cars been very poorly maintained.

Wouldnt be suprised if it was electrical, odd of the dealer to say they couldnt see any fault codes though, surely the engine warning light = event that should be readable...

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
I dont think ive seen a single thread for a confirmed 2.0 diesel turbo failure so would be very surprised if this ends up being root cause unless the cars been very poorly maintained.

Wouldnt be suprised if it was electrical, odd of the dealer to say they couldnt see any fault codes though, surely the engine warning light = event that should be readable...
I've changed 3 in the last year.. Although none as low as 44k miles. Lowest was 60k.

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
And how many MA units? :biglaugh:
Only one - but, for some reason just not that many have gone wrong around here. I suspect there are probably more MA failures in Giuliettas than turbo failures on the diesels. But in both cases, the cause is (in my mind) the same; lack of regular oil & filter changes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, took it for a blast tonight, and in dynamic mode, it would only just briefly touch the third from end boost bar gauge, and no way could I get anywhere nearthevladt 2 bars!
How much is a turbo fix going to cost? - I don,t mind travelling to a enthusiast garage- it,s not going to my local dealer.

·
Registered
38,272 Posts
You may just have a boost leak, maybe a split hose...

Usually when that happens the Turbo feels like it is cutting in later than normal.

Often if the turbo has issues you end up with oil burning and smoke. The reason is that movement in the turbo shaft can cause the oil to leak from the bearings into the induction air.

One other test for a failed turbo is to leave the car idling for a while. Sometimes the car will start to smoke after about 5-10 mins.

·
Registered
38,272 Posts
In that case it would be worth making sure the oil level doesn't drop.

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
Just take off the engine cover, remove the clip from the air feed pipe to the turbo, then wiggle off the air inlet hose and have a feel of the impellor to see if there is excess movement or not. It is a really quick check.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hose going onto the turbo was quite loose.changed the clip holding it on with a big jubilee clip, and now I have full boost showing on the dash again. Only managed a quick 10 min spin tho, so I don,t know if that has cured the stalling problem, which I doubt it would have.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That sounds like failed crankshaft sensor to me.
The same happened on my ex-Stilo, the engine was stalling randomly and i was not able to start it again until it cooled down a little.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts