Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was having issues today where i felt a lack of power when accelerating. Initially my mind went to blown head gasket, however after a few tests i know that this wasn't the case. So i go to check my spark plugs. First socket was filled with oil! looked like i spill from an oil change i had the other day so i cleaned it up and removed the oil, all the other sockets were dry. anyway on further investigation i checked my spark plugs and they're all fried look liked they haven't been changed in a long while!!! I've noticed that i have 2 x NGK BKR6EKPA and 2 NGK PMR7A with the diameter of the threaded part of the spark plugs being noticeably different. Is this common? or have the sockets been re tapped?

Cheers

Angus

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers i just realised didnt check all the spark plug sockets, bit stupid of me. Thanks for the reply though! looks likes its going to be a costly spark plug replacement!

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
At least you have the correct spark plugs in.
The best price you can hope for is about £70 but they are only meant to be replaced every 60k miles/100k km.

·
Registered
10,594 Posts
Replaced all 8 on my spider this year, luckily a mate had 4 brand new factory plugs in his garage so I got half at a decent price.
Twinsparks do like to leak oil into the plug wells, sometimes it is from putting oil in, many times it’s from the rocker gasket, at least that’s easy to replace.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply guys, bought a new gasket as they’re only £20 and got a full set of spark plugs for £70 so hopefully I’ll get the car up and running in no time! I think it is spillage from when I had the car topped up with oil from the other day as you can see where it has run from the oil fill hole.

Another quick question, I cleaned up as best I could but I think some oil may have gotten through to the combistion chamber, Will this cause an issue? I assume the oil will only get burned up?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys, bought a new gasket as they’re only £20 and got a full set of spark plugs for £70 so hopefully I’ll get the car up and running in no time! I think it is spillage from when I had the car topped up with oil from the other day as you can see where it has run from the oil fill hole.

Another quick question, I cleaned up as best I could but I think some oil may have gotten through to the combistion chamber, Will this cause an issue? I assume the oil will only get burned up?
No issue at all. Using a bit of oil is normal. With a 147 it's good practice to regularly check the oil level. If you introduce a bit more accidentally via the spark plug hole it might smoke like a Ford Prefect for a few minutes!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Only if the spark plug recesses are exposed and debris collects in there, which would then go into the cylinder with the oil. The TS plug depressions are pretty well shielded, so you might have some accumulated dust in there, but probably nothing much worse.

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers, car runs amazingly after the spark plug change, bit of smoke out of the back but cleared up pretty quickly. Unfortunately i have managed to snap my bonnet cable. It never ends!!! going to attempt some wizardry to get this open on the weekend so i can replace the cable!

Thanks

Angus

·
Registered
196 Posts
Cheers, car runs amazingly after the spark plug change, bit of smoke out of the back but cleared up pretty quickly. Unfortunately i have managed to snap my bonnet cable. It never ends!!! going to attempt some wizardry to get this open on the weekend so i can replace the cable!

Thanks

Angus
I changed my cable by tying it to the old on and pulling it. Try it or else it's difficult.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts