Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a couple of shots from my phone of the new addition to my drive alongside my trusted steed.

Before anyone shoots me down for choice of vehicle I should point out that it is a company car and I had to choose from the Mini range this time round and a family of 4 don't fit well in a Mini hatch with me being 6'3. It's replaced a very capable but slightly dull VW Golf.
I actually quite like the way it looks as it stands out from the corporate grey and silver boxes you see in every car park (just like my Alfa:)).
I love the anthracite wheels but am dreading the 1st time I curb them as I am constantly parking in central London, often dozens of times a day.

Attachments

K

·
0 Posts
If the Mini range is all you've got to work with I can see why you chose it. The crappy estate one doesn't work on any practical level as far as I can see and that is at least usable.

N

·
0 Posts
Urg. The Maxi really doesn't look that good does it?
Especially next to a properly designed car.

Ah well, at least you have an all-singing-all-dancing capable
AWD car for the winter months. [sniggger]

;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exactly the response I was expecting:p
Shame they changed the fleet choice this year because based on the list last time I would have had a massive choice including Golf/Scirrocco 170 GTtdi, BMW 1 series coupe, Audi A3/A4, even down to a fiat 500.

There was talk about us having more choice this time so I was hoping to push for a Giulietta but the financial climate made them go for a single marque supplier.

At least it's the Cooper SD as others have got One models and it means it I don't have to put a roof box or bike rack on the GTA:)

It's a very similar colour to the GTA and does look much better in the flesh.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
beauty's in the eye of the beholder i suppose :thumbs:

i don't mind minis at all, but i just can't warm to the estate/countryman/coupe etc. but i suppose for a family of 4 there's only one rational choice, the normal minis are just too small for the practicalities of family life

lovin the gta though :cool:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
great car Jonny. Don't listen to them.
Great colour too.
Cheers:thumbs:

Thought I was getting a parking ticket today but when I got closer it was 2 engineers in work outfits checking the car out.
They wanted to know if it was new and they were very complimentary. Even said that the rear with the twin pipes looked like a Bentley but I'm not so sure about that.

Every one of my neighbours has commented on it which they never did when I got my Golf.
At least it provokes a reaction whether good or bad:)

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
What would happen if you had 3 kids or a dog? You would have had to change jobs! Seems an odd policy to choose from one small (and pretty unpractical at that) range of cars.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We pick up our new puppy in the new year, luckily no more kids on the way though!

A few people at work have got 3 kids etc and have had to buy their own car,
The company view is that we are lucky to have a car supplied as they could insist we use our own vehicles for work.

For most uses the Countryman is practical enough and I've just ordered some roof bars so that I can use my roofbox etc. I now have a spare set of Thule aero bars for a mark 5/6 Golf that I need to sell.

Used the GTA today. Just can't beat the sound you get from that engine at full chat:thumbs:

·
Registered
37,784 Posts
I drive past a mini dealership on the way to work, and my thoughts when I first saw one were not good I am afraid.. Something along the lines of "What were they thinking".

The GTA looks lovely though. :cool:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Mini proved it's worth today. Stuck the back seats down and loaded it with 3 childs wardrobes with extras at my local Ikea. Didn't need to put anything on the roof as it all went in with ease. Was pleasantly suprised. :)

N

·
0 Posts
The Mini proved it's worth today. Stuck the back seats down and loaded it with 3 childs wardrobes with extras at my local Ikea. Didn't need to put anything on the roof as it all went in with ease. Was pleasantly suprised. :)

So it's at least as good a load carrier as a Brera then...?

;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts