Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've currently got a 156 1.8 TS and would ideally like a GTA but too expensive, so thought I could settle half way with a 2.5 V6, but there doesn't seem to many around on trader, eBay, pistonheads etc. and those that are on there are all high mileage.

From what I can tell the last ones were made around 2003? Is it that not many of these were sold originally or is it that everyone who owns one doesn't want to sell it...?

·
Registered
38,880 Posts
There are a few around, however they always seem to be none around when you want to buy one.

I was looking for one before I bought my GTV and the only ones that were available were miles away.

Then my GTV came up 1 mile from where I work.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I got mine by sheer chance, went to look at a twinnie and it had arrived as a p/x that day. Took it for a spin and fell in love, even though it was a state, no way I'd sell it on, it's getting run into the ground!

Just got to keep looking, one will fall in your lap sooner or later. All the best

·
0 Posts
im looking for a V6 too if you are gonna get one get a pre 2001 so you dont get stung with road tax also dont be put off by high miles, if its been serviced well it'll go on for another 130k

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I think you will find they stopped selling them in the UK on about an X plate. There was a bit of a gap in the 156 V6 market and then they launched the GTA. But I may be wrong.

I'm pretty sure the 2003 models that are around were not originally intended for the UK. I seem to remember that they were shipped to a country (Malaysia maybe?) and then the tax rules changed there so they couldn't sell them and Alfa then shipped them to the UK. There was also a ship that caught fire and some smoke damaged examples were also sold off cheap in the UK.

If anyone knows more about this than me, please feel free to put me right :lol:

The 2.5 V6 is a great car. I have been driving mine for 8 years and love it to bits. However I'm vaguely considering swapping it for a 3.2 GT coupe, so if anyone wants to make an offer for mine, feel free to PM me.

156 2.5 V6 in Alfa red, 1998 S reg, 155K miles (I have driven 100K of these personally!), velour seats with Alfa embroidered on them (very comfy), lots of documentation and main dealer servicing, but needs a tidy up here and there (bit of rust on the leading edge of the roof at the top of the windscreen, a small trolley ding on the passenger door and the front bumper is a bit pink). Fast, reliable car though and great fun to drive.

·
Registered
651 Posts
nearly put mine up for sale this weekend, but decided to hang on to it until summer time, then it will be for sale.

out of the box the v6 seriously needs decent suspension, so if it hasnt got uprated suspension, facter in £500 to get that sorted, mines on koni adjustables and works a treat

·
Registered
651 Posts
im looking for a V6 too if you are gonna get one get a pre 2001 so you dont get stung with road tax also dont be put off by high miles, if its been serviced well it'll go on for another 130k
i thought all that was garbage:confused: whens it going up?

how much is a pre 2001 v6 to tax? mines a 2001 and i think its £215 a year...something like that

·
0 Posts
i like the sound of that...................3.0 litre??
yeah i looked at putting a facelift front onto a V6 but the other way round, V6 in a facelift works out cheaper...

id need wings, slampanel, bonnet, lights, bumpers, trim, paint. < thats the biggest downside the paint.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I was able to buy a mint 2.5l V6 only last week, it's on a '03 plate & has extremly low miles! Very very pleased with it although, i have to say i have already started thinking about some new (larger - 17") wheels & a sporty/louder exhaust back-box. Any suggestions?

·
0 Posts
Hi everyone, I was able to buy a mint 2.5l V6 only last week, it's on a '03 plate & has extremly low miles! Very very pleased with it although, i have to say i have already started thinking about some new (larger - 17") wheels & a sporty/louder exhaust back-box. Any suggestions?
yup GTA 17's and a Ragazzon, the sound is like when Thor cry's :thumbs:

A

·
0 Posts
Not that many 156 2.5s were sold, also when the cam belt goes they often cost more to fix than they are worth, so they get scrapped.

This is a damnable shame of course, as overall they are probably the 'nicest' of the 156s just because of the engine. They are not the best handling or the most sporty due to noseweight, and certainly not the most economical by a long chalk...which is why the diesels outsold the petrol 156s by a pretty wide margin in Europe, slightly less so here.

But all things being equal they are a lovely car to have about the place. I just wish they had put the 3 litre engine in from new. I never could quite work out the point of the 2.5 as it does lose a fair bit of low down oomph to the 3 litre engine, and costs exactly the same to build.

AlfaLincs

·
Registered
311 Posts
In my short experience of sourcing one, I started looking last week-end, and found that the cheap ones in good nick went very quickly, 2-3 days is too late to hang around. On Sat. I saw one 5 miles from me on Autotrader, just part'ex'd in the eary morning. When I got there, the engine was still luke warm from having been driven in by previous owner. It looked in alright condition, so I drove it over to Autolusso's and by 6pm that night I parted with £800 and the ad was off autotrader. It is true, the car has had a cambelt done but to re-do it would be more than the car's worth...furthermore, if you are unable to verify if the water pump (plastic impellor type) was not changed at that time, again it's a double chance you take. This is the case with mine, it's 5yrs since the cambelt change, but water pump likely not done.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts