Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

i need an estate, for practicality, towing although occasional, and of course it must be pretty nifty too!

it is my understanding that the JTD in 2.4 guise is quite a performer, and can quite easily be chipped and improved further too, but how does this compare to a good V6 petrol powered Wagon??

thanks for your comments, especially those that have followed from my gearbox thread, who have convinced me that a straight forward stir stick n 3 pedals is the way to go for me.

thanks

shrew

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
I think that the V6 is more fun than the JTD

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
Get the 2.4 JTD.. My remapped one was very quick, I've driven a 2.5 and its not the nicest drive in the world without much torque in the mid-range. It does sound lovely but the diesel has a decent growl to it too, not your typical tractor engine.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmmm

interesting stuff...

how much is remapping on the oil cooker, and what sort of gains can be had, and affects on economy?

cheers

shrew

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Got my remap for £250+VAT although RRP is about £300+VAT ... there are AO red dot rolling road days where they do a BIG discount (£120ish I think) ... anyway got mine remapped from 150bhp to 208bhp ... no change in economy (some people say they get better) I still get about 45mpg ... the only thing I need to look out for is that I'll probably need a new clutch sooner or later

... other than that just :D

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Get the 2.4 JTD.. My remapped one was very quick, I've driven a 2.5 and its not the nicest drive in the world without much torque in the mid-range. It does sound lovely but the diesel has a decent growl to it too, not your typical tractor engine.
Every time a diesel 156 drives past me I feel let down, it'd be like pulling a supermodel only to find her wearing a pair of your grannys bloomers:eek:
I do rate the 2.5, but my advice is to go for the tractor, it will have more torque, which is better for towing, and can be chipped up for a fraction of the cost of a 2.5, beware though 'cos std 2.4 0-62 is a huge 2.2 seconds slower than the 2.5 and top speed is 20mph lower.
Don't test a V6 Alfa 'cos then it will be all over, and the 2.4 makes more sense:cheese:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
the 2.4jtd will tune easily to match the performance of a V6 to 100mph.

But I would not advise screaming 200bhp just from a remap if you plan to tow with it. You would need to upgrade the intercooler else you intake temps will be through the roof and you may suffer overboost probs.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The Jtd will be £210 for a years tax in 2010
The V6 if post 2001 will be £450 for a years tax.

just for info.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats a very valid point when you consider that by then a 8/9 year old alfa would only be worth 1500 quid if tip top!

paying a third of its value just to drive it on our excuse for roads, a bundle more for insurance too, starts making you think more logisticly i suppose...

thats possibly made my mind up, so thanks for everything guys, its been most useful.

cheers

shrew

·
Registered
126 Posts
I tow with a 2.4 20v. Its the best tow car I have had. I then remove my towbar and kick seven shades out of most other things on the road. Not alot will touch in through 3,4,5,6 real danger to your licence with the torque!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't discount the 1.9 16V if you are looking at a later model. The engine is a real peach and much better overall than the 2.4 10v except for the sound.

As you can probably tell, I tow with my 147 JTD 16V and its an absolute dream not just in the power stakes but also the handling too! :)

As a matter of interest what do you guys tow 156_2.4jtd20v and shrewiside?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts