Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I believe that I have a failing aux belt tensioner on my 156 V6. I would like to remove the aux belt as a temporary measure to see if this is causing a rattle under load, although I'm not sure what is actually involved. Is this quite a simple job, an advice greatly appreciated !!!

Many Thanks,
Tony.

·
Registered
512 Posts
On an old car I had a while ago the aux belt rattled quite a bit. I noticed that when I went through a deep puddle the rattling used to stop, and also later noticed thatwhen a small bit of water was poured on it the belt it became silent. You could try something similar, if you can get access to the belt.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate. I did think of that, but on the V6 space to work is minimal! I might have a go at removing the wheel and inner liner and throwing some EP grease in the bearings or something?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry mate, I re-read your post and see what you mean! The thing is, it's not noisy when idling, it's only when under load. I will have a go at that anyway!

G

·
0 Posts
Hi Tony, if you are near brands hatch pop in and we can have a look,or ring me
John

·
Registered
512 Posts
I might have misunderstood your issue somewhat - wetting the belt would just show if the belt itself was making noise. The problem on my old car was solved by replacing the belt only - the belt material had become hardened & perished and this made the rattling sound under load & at idle.
That car was a Carina E, and thus x100 times simpler to work on than the Alfa v6...

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks mate. I did notice that in the Winter I was getting a squealing sound when starting the car, but it was only for like a second and then wouldn't hear it again, basically when starting first time in the colder weather!

By the way, is that John at TNI Motorsport?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts