Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm considering a 159 next year and I wondered if anyone had any opinions on which was the better engine, 2.4 5 pot or new 2.0JTDm?

I currently have a 2.4 20v 156 and love the engine, but was considering a "new" 159, if I could find one anywhere, with the 2.0 engine.

Or should get a new-ish 2.4?

Also, anyone know of any good deals on run-out 159s?

Any advice gratefully received.

·
Vendor
45,831 Posts
The 2.0 is better on fuel, but its not as quick or characterful. I'd have the 2.4, but it depends what your priorities are.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'd go for the 2.4 purely because its a 5 cylinder and will be less 'diesel sounding' than the 4 cylinder 2.0JTDm. If you catch my drift

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks chaps, I do understand. Only today a friend commented on how smooth and un-diesel-like my 5 pot 156 sounded.
Doubt I'll find any new ones lurking about though.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
They stopped production of the 2.4 around may 2009, although there are a few registered Sept 09, making them a 59 plate, and a very odd one on a 10 plate I found advertised recently, although way over priced.

Shame really as it's really under-rated, for what is technically a great engine with loads of tuning potential, and the added benefit of that 5 pot burble.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see there are many other such discussions and after some perusal, I think I've changed my mind!
I get 48mpg from my 156 20v and excellent performance and, apart from the slightly more handsome lines of the 159, I can't see what more it can offer.

Think I'll stick with the 156 and maybe give Angel a call for that 200bhp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts