Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning All,

I have to replace the alternator on my 2007 159 Sports wagon. I've tested for earth and for parasitic drain, but all signs point to it either being the alternator or the rectifier.

Either was as it looks a massive pain I'm going to replace the whole thing.

The issue is I've read as many of the posts as I can but there is no definite way to get it out.

Is there a workshop manual or guide that will give a clear way to do it?

I'm thinking I'll do a video to help whoever comes next so all help greatly received.

P.S. this is something I have to do so won't be using a garage 馃槅.

Registered
I suggest having a look to see which way round the alternator bolts are before starting, if the heads are cam belt side then you are going to have trouble getting it out, so, to save time I'd cut the bolt to get it out and with the new bolt I'd install it the other way round so the nut is cam belt side.

Registered
I wimped on this job. Glad I did. Ended up with a captive nut on the engine support breaking causing all sorts of grief I couldn't have dealt with on the driveway.

I ended up driving the car to get it fixed, with a fully charged battery (of unknown age) and a dead alternator, I managed about 2 hours driving (no music, no lights or wipers, heater panel off and with the badges changed to BMW ones so nobody expected indicators) before all hell broke loose with EVERY warning light from ABS to VDC coming on in sequence! Spare battery fitted (the new one) got me the remaining 2 hours to my destinatlon with enough charge left to restart the car the next day after the alternator was changed.

Guy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts