Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK gents...

so following on from the car throwing its bottom pulley last week...

Car is at a garage as I'm away and cant do the work myself this next few weeks and need her back...

Pulley and belt replaced....run her up....

power steering fluid everywhere...pump cavitation...mechanic tried to bleed but to no avail...we know the 159 pumps are prone to failure...

Also got a little bit of play in the track rod ends...but not enough to have risked damaging the rack so thinks the mechanic. no leaks or anything found in any pipes etc

So the questions this time are...

Can anyone point to a suitable cheaper supplier of a PAS pump...

and are there any other things that could be causing this...could the rack be damaged?

Read on other forums the reservoir can also break...

Cheers fellow alfa lovers

Yorkierm

·
Registered
30,391 Posts
PS pump failed on my TT on Christmas Eve, siezed solid.
I went for a cheaper option.... which only lasted a month.
Now replaced with the OEM pump I should have got in the first place...

Yes the OEM pump was £400 rather than the £70 of the cheap option, but going for the cheaper option actually ended up costing me and £300 more.

So no I can't recommend a cheaper option!!

As for the reservoir, yes there were revisions and also cases of the filter breaking off causing foaming.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi chipmik.

I've relayed the information found thus far on here to the mechanic, but he cant see any breaks inside the reservoir. And as I'm no where near the car I cant check myself. Seems a new reservoir is only about £35 so for the small additional cost it might be worth putting one on...

Also the mechanic says the fluid that has come out is red...which leads me to suspect its the wrong stuff as on here everyone seems to say green...As the fluid is coming out of the top I assume and hope that its not likely to have damaged the actual steering rack...

David...mental note to me...cheers I wont be putting on a cheap replacement. Have seen one on a certain auction site from poland that is £160 plus £5 delivery...whats your thoughts...doesnt say if its OEM however...

yorkierm

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Ive just changed the pump on my brera as it was noisy, I got it from poland through ebay for £150 and it has been fine.
I thought the reservoir issue was with the 1.9 Diesels.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I´m not sure about the red/green-discussion..You might search a bit more on the issue as i believe both colors actually are ok, depending of year of manufacture..Mines got red stuff in it & has just passed 200.000 Km without any issues.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers Jon, that is the pump I was looking at. Gonna wait to see what the mechanic comes up with price wise on monday but that could be the option.

He is going to double check the reservoir on monday to see if its broken.

As for the red/green debate...most on here seem to think it should be green, and alfashop list a green fluid...wonder what the main dealer will suggest...

Nothing can be done till monday now so will have to wait. I hate having to be patient.

Yorkierm

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
With regard to the fluid its best to stay with whats in there red or green. They should all have green but some were filled wrongly from new and some later in their life with red, red is only an issue when its very cold and changing to green can cause rack leaking issues if its worn.
Its worth double checking that no pipes have been damaged when the pulley let go, if one has been knocked flat then there will be nowhere for the pressue to go and maybe why its blowing it out of the reservoir.
With that ebay pump I offered 130 and the seller came back with 150 and said thats as low as he would go.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
As I have mentioned before If it has red it must be the ATFIII not ATF II Ithinkmaybe where there have been problems with the red it could well be it's the wrong grade that has caused a problem , more so than the colour.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts