Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently run a 156 JTD with the 2.4 10v engine. 136bhp in standard tune, but chipped to around 175bhp at the moment.

Considering changing for a newer 156 with the 150bhp 1.9JTD 16v.

I'm scared that I'll really miss the torque (and noise) of the 5 cylinder. Has anyone changed from the 2.4 to the 1.9? If so, were you disappointed?

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Coming from a 1.9 (140 bhp) to a 20v you will certainly notice the difference! The 1.9 is a more "urgent" engine that you just want to rev, whilst the 2.4 has torque by the bucket load that seduces you into a different behaviour of just letting the torque do the work. Oh and the 2.4 is much smoother and with a better sound track.

Would I go back? I very much doubt it!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coming from a 1.9 (140 bhp) to a 20v you will certainly notice the difference! The 1.9 is a more "urgent" engine that you just want to rev, whilst the 2.4 has torque by the bucket load that seduces you into a different behaviour of just letting the torque do the work. Oh and the 2.4 is much smoother and with a better sound track.

Would I go back? I very much doubt it!

Pretty much what I expected! Thanks for this. I just love that 5 cylinder wail and would miss it too much.

Must keep looking for a low mileage 20v......or a cheap 159 with the same engine!

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Pretty much what I expected! Thanks for this. I just love that 5 cylinder wail and would miss it too much.

Must keep looking for a low mileage 20v......or a cheap 159 with the same engine!
My 20v has done just 60k, so she's just run in! Replaced a 78k 1.9. I used to rev the 1.9 mostly to 4000, but the 2.4 never seems to need that! Perhaps now I've got new tyres and when I've sorted the suspension I will! The exhaust on the 20v seems to be a bit more restricted than the 10v, but that can be fixed!

Keep looking one will turn up. BTW, I had a 159 with the 200 brake engine on demo and to be honest my 1.9 seems faster, and it only did 34 mpg over a tank full, and made little noise.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. I had heard the 159 was a heavy brute which is probably the reason for the poor performance and economy. A mate has a 3.2 Brera and he thinks my 156 is much livelier!

I'll keep looking for a good 156.....must still be a few out there!

Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stay with the 2.4 my friend ..... 156 currently have better engines than the 159, although almost the same but in a 2 ton shell.
I took your advice and am now the proud owner of a 55 reg 156 JTD 20V Veloce - black with GTA alloys - nice! And yes....it is the mutt's nuts!

Serious performance if required, but still averaging high 40s in mixed driving. Really the best of both worlds. Performance in 1st and 2nd gear marginally worse than the old chipped 10V, but thrust in 3rd gear onwards is very impressive.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I took your advice and am now the proud owner of a 55 reg 156 JTD 20V Veloce - black with GTA alloys - nice! And yes....it is the mutt's nuts!

Serious performance if required, but still averaging high 40s in mixed driving. Really the best of both worlds. Performance in 1st and 2nd gear marginally worse than the old chipped 10V, but thrust in 3rd gear onwards is very impressive.
Sounds an excellent choice, how about some pics?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Very nice! I traded my 2.4 20V for a 1.9 GT Q2. Although the GT is lovely, I miss the 2.4 grunt and sound...

Mind you I don't miss the undertray grounding over every bit of bumpy road!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Wicked looking car Alfasheltie :thumbs: I very nearly went for a 2.4 20v...... what stopped me was the punishing road tax here in Ireland. That said, the 1.9 16v is well able to munch through Beemers :cool: May I recommend that you have a look at the aluminium undertray from Zeatek. It gives a bit more clearance under the sump.... vital for the 20v motor.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wicked looking car Alfasheltie :thumbs: I very nearly went for a 2.4 20v...... what stopped me was the punishing road tax here in Ireland. That said, the 1.9 16v is well able to munch through Beemers :cool: May I recommend that you have a look at the aluminium undertray from Zeatek. It gives a bit more clearance under the sump.... vital for the 20v motor.
Road tax here isn't cheap, but not too bad I suppose - £180 for 12 months.

Haven't had problems with grounding yet. I did on my old 2.4, however this seemed to improve dramatically when I replaced the front wishbones. Any idea how much the Zeatek tray is?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds an excellent choice, how about some pics?
Thought I'd post a pic of the whole fleet! I've actually sold the silver one now. The red one is knackered - bought for spares last year, but haven't actually taken anything off it yet (apart from bulbs!). The missus is starting to get a bit annoyed, so I'm going to have to strip it shortly.

It's a V reg 1.8 if anyone would like to buy some parts. Full ivory leather interior, but shipping costs may be too much (I'm in Shetland!). I'm also keeping the alloys, but most other parts are available, but possibly not in great condition. PM me if interested :)

Attachments

B

·
0 Posts
Great choice Alfasheltie:inlove:- GTA alloys look amazing! Should get 50 mpg plus out of a 20V & you can drive around in 3rd gear all day long listening to your 5 cylinders.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Great choice Alfasheltie:inlove:- GTA alloys look amazing! Should get 50 mpg plus out of a 20V & you can drive around in 3rd gear all day long listening to your 5 cylinders.
50 mpg? I get 560 miles from a tank full = 44 mpg

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
50 mpg? I get 560 miles from a tank full = 44 mpg
Thanks for the link - I'll put one on my wish list!

I'm getting around 44-48mpg in mixed driving. Easy to drop into the low 40s if the right foot is applied too often though! Still an excellent mix of performance and economy - hard to beat on that score.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts