Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a hunt around but cannot find the definitive guide to a belt change on the 2.4 engine.
Alfa workshop, I think have something but it seems a bit lacking to me. It talks about marking the pulleys but it is not obvious to me what they are marking it to, unless its the marks on the belt. I cannot believe that that is a good way to do the cam timing! It also comments that you need locking tools IF you have had a belt failure, I don't get that at all, surely you need to "set" the engine. So is there a guide somewhere, do I need special tools, happy to rent or buy. I have changed loads of belts in the past but all on petrol engines, I understand them.
Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Hi, many people myself included have changed the timing belt on the diesel engine by just marking the cam and crank pulleys the special tools are now readily available and cheap so it is best to use them, it is the same tooling for the vauxhall diesel engines.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Timing-Setting-Locking-Tool-Kit-ASTRA-VECTRA-ZAFIRA-1-9-CDTi-DIESEL-/252061187118?hash=item3ab0047c2e:g:R20AAOSwaNBUdeZs
the kit has 2 cam pins but with the engine complete you can only use 1 on the exhaust cam at the front, the inlet is gear driven internally so no need to lock that aswell. The fuel pump is just a pressure pump so not timed, and remember to change the waterpump as that is the usual cause of failure's.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Hi, many people myself included have chsnged the timing belt on the diesel engine by just marking the cam and crank pulley but now as the special tools are readily available and cheap so it is best to use them, it is the same tooling for the vauxhall diesel engines.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Timing-Setting-Locking-Tool-Kit-ASTRA-VECTRA-ZAFIRA-1-9-CDTi-DIESEL-/252061187118?hash=item3ab0047c2e:g:R20AAOSwaNBUdeZs
the kit has 2 cam pins but with the engine complete you can only use 1 on the exhaust cam at the front, the inlet is gear driven internally so no need to lock that aswell. The fuel pump is just a pressure pump so not timed, and remember to change the waterpump as that is the usual cause of failure's.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that info, I had a look at Autodata today, I understand it a little better now. What it did say was that the engine has to come out, I am guessing that you did yours in situ and just had to fiddle in the tight space.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Mine is a 1.9, the same set up but with more space, I think the book time for the 2.4 includes taking the engine out but it can be done in situ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts