Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all.

Just taken the Brera to visit the grandparents, Manchester to Barnsley over Woodhead Pass.

On the return journey, I left the M60 and dropped in to Heaton Chapel, 30mph, a couple of traffic lights to negotiate on the last 3-mile stretch home.

Pulling off from one set off lights, I noticed the turbo didn't seem to be kicking in at all, or very minimally. Putting the right foot down in second gear, quite a lot of blue smoke appeared through the rear mirror. Idle was erratic for a couple of seconds.

This carried on for about a mile, but now seems to have sorted itself out - no smoke, and turbo kicking in as normal.

HOWEVER

I've got what I perceive to be a little more turbo whine than usual, and, unless I'm imagining it/over analysing, ever-so-slightly less torque when it spools up.

Now to lay my ignorance out in public:

Could this have been an (active) regen of the DPF? Or possibly a blown seal on the turbo? I'm going to keep an eye out for an oil puddle in the morning but there's nothing apparent at the minute.

Apologies for the long post, wanted to give as much detail as possible. Any suggestions would be massively appreciated.

Jess

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Check engine oil level. If it is falling because the turbo is failing do not ignore. There won't be a puddle, oil will be burned as fuel. A puddle would indicate a leak - possibly oil cooler, a different disaster if ignored

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check engine oil level. If it is falling because the turbo is failing do not ignore. There won't be a puddle, oil will be burned as fuel. A puddle would indicate a leak - possibly oil cooler, a different disaster if ignored
Will keep an eye on oil levels over the coming fortnight then - I've only had it a couple of weeks so still protected under Sale of Goods Act with the dealer. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Pop the intake hose of the manifold and look for oil, if no oil then likely not the seals. From my experience with turbo seals (not necessarily on Alfas), seal degregation is a gradual process and catastrophic failures are quite rare.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pop the intake hose of the manifold and look for oil, if no oil then likely not the seals. From my experience with turbo seals (not necessarily on Alfas), seal degregation is a gradual process and catastrophic failures are quite rare.
Will do - apologies for sounding like an amateur (I'm only used to VAG engines) where is the manifold intake hose located?

I can't see the wood (hose) for the trees (hoses)!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Pop the engine cover off and it's located toward the rear right side of the engine (thick silver metal pipe held on with 2 bolts). Follow black plastic air intake ducts if in doubt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts