Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my cars oil level and it is far above full.:confused:
I changed the oil myself and the reading on the dipstick was perfect.
4000km later it is far above full.
On old diesels this happened thanks to over fueling but I don’t think it should happen on a JTD and if it did not within 40000km.
Have anyone experienced this before.:(

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
For whatever reason,it can only happen with diesel in the oil.Granted Alfas are not known for it,unlike some other makes(some Merc Vitos and Sprinters have real issues with that),but thats the direction you should look at.I think.:)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My feeling as well thanks.
If only I had the money to send my ECU to you so that the Regens and other rubbish could be disabled.

I am really thinking that the car keeps on attempting regens while in traffic resulting in a lot of diesel seeping past the rings.

Some of the injector pipes were a bit loose as well as the inlet pipe where it fits on the turbo (MAF) side but none of that should cause over fueling in my opinion.

My consumption stays low but most of the km are spend in traffic so I suppose its not to bad in the region of 10kml don’t know what that is in miles but probably mid to late 20’s.
It’s a lot better than my 3.2 GTV so I am not complaining.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Is there any easy way to drain off the excess oil or does it have to be via the sump plug?
Draining the excess is not the right way I am afraid.:(
Don't forget your oil is getting filled with diesel and therefore is becoming thinner and its protective and lubricating properties are becoming less effective,so you may cause damage to your engine.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree 100% you can rather change to a less expensive oil and change it more frequently until the problem is rectified.

What I do not understand is why people on your side do not rip the DPF’s out and get a remap you have the facility’s on your doorstep.

In SA its not that easy since I cannot afford to have my car standing while the ECU is in the post. The weak rand’s not helping either.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the 2.4 have an overfull light like the BM’s?
Otherwise it is actually dangerous when this happen if you do not check the physical oil level from time to time.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
What I do not understand is why people on your side do not rip the DPF’s out and get a remap you have the facility’s on your doorstep.
..probably because at £700 for a good job it's not exactly a cheap fix.

I'm trying to save money for it, but the Bella keeps on having her little tantrums here and there that drain the "DPF fund" :(

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:lol:
Agreed it’s not cheap.
But worth while if you intend keeping the car for a while.

Personally I think the system is silly since the exhaust gas is cleaner but you burn +/- 10% more fuel with the regen’s.
Looking at the soot covered rears of some Audi’s driving around SA I doubt if they have them fitted as new in SA.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Does the 2.4 have an overfull light like the BM’s?
Otherwise it is actually dangerous when this happen if you do not check the physical oil level from time to time.
At least the high oil pressure warning should come up? I am dealing with same problem...
does this problem only appears when regens are canceled?
I can not take dpf out I have to do a car inspection every year...
Best option is to buy the cable to do forced regens ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I completely agree that constantly draining it off is not the solution due to the dilution but as I see it there is no option but to accept that the dilution is happening other than paying quite a bit of money to have the DPF etc removed.

Obviously its not realistic to change the oil everytime a bit of diesel gets through as it would need to be done on a weekly basis.

My plan is to accept it is happening, have more regular oil changes but in the mean time ensure that the engine is not overfilled by draining it off regularly. I understand that overfilling can have terminal consequences for an engine so need to manage the situation.

I think a Pela pump looks the way to go....

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I drained the oil this afternoon an filled up with fresh new oil. If you do it like this the motor takes 5l. I will be changing the oil each 5000 km and the filter every 3rd time.
Much cheaper than replacing worn cams or even worse a crank.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i've only had my car a few months but noticed when checking the oil it was nearly an inch over since i didnt check it when i got it from the dealer i coudlnt tell if it had the same problem as yours or it had been overfilled, so i had an oil change at my indie a few weeks ago and since then its stayed on the correct level. seems it not that uncommon.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am also a bit worried that I could have overfilled with the previous change but I am sure it was on the mark so will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Mine doesnt make any oil (well at least the fuel does no more than add to what lubricant is burnt off!) though I keep an eye on the regens, so as Gus says, its not a characteristic of these engines.....Have a google at the Mazda 6 to see a car that does have a serious defct in this department.

Also the car has no high oil pressure or level warnings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree 100% you can rather change to a less expensive oil and change it more frequently until the problem is rectified.

In SA its not that easy since I cannot afford to have my car standing while the ECU is in the post. The weak rand’s not helping either.
hi turbonutter,

just by a cheap Galletto 1260 Clone at ebay (from HongKong) read out your ECU code, send me the file and I will turn off EGR and DPF reg. for you if you want. Have a look at my facebook site.

tomsa

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Tomsa I will get one and take you up on your offer thanks.
I am sure with it switched of and all the accompanying bits removed out of the exhaust the motor will already be a lot stronger as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You have to remove your DPF then (or core out the ceramic monolithe) and will feel more responsive driving thru low and midrange rpm's.

tomsa

1 - 20 of 32 Posts