Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have in my possession a complete Cat 'C' 'write off' '02 Saloon 2.4JTD 10v 5 speed with < 60k miles on it.

I also have 2 possible donor cars for these parts

A. '00 2.0L TS Sportwagon [ Cable throttle ] in need of an engine transplant [ which is in motion, sort of to speak ]

B. '01 1.8 TS Sportwagon [ fly-by-wire ] driving 100%, failed nct for lower wishbone ball joint, easily sorted.

why sportwagon?

The boot of a saloon is restrictive when trying to access or load tools. The sportwagon, while smaller if the rear seats are is more accessible & can be made larger by folding down the seat.

why fit a 2.4jtd engine into a petrol car?

1. coz i have 2 donors

2. coz i need the torque of a diesel for towing a 6' x 15' car transporter, TS engine don;t have much torque

3. I have the time to do this work, even if it takes a month or so of a few hours here & there, there is no real hurry.

I guess the '01 is the most lsuitbale canidate as the wiring loom should bemore compatible with the JTD wiring than the '00s wiring loom.

opinions or suggestions appreciated.

I'm guessing there is a 3rd option, to buy a good rolling car with a damaged jtd engine...anyone know of one in this condition?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no opinions then?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I think you'll be well over the legal weight limit if you are towing a loaded car trailer behind your Alfa no matter which engine it has fitted!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not an issue in ireland

just been for a short blast in the 2.4jtd ..... MAN what an ANIMAL to move :)

M

·
0 Posts
Physics does apply here and a twin axle trailer does need a special license and if it exceeds 3500kg it is classed as a class c license....

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
towing car 1300kg

trailered car 1500kg

trailer 500kg

thats < 3500kg & my license covers me upto 3500kg

also the trialer i use has it own independent braking system

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Smaky I have no idea what you are saying as you are on my IGNORE list

I thought I was on yours too so why are you repying in this thread?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And generally speaking the trailer should not exceed 85% of the weight of the towing vehicle.

empty or loaded?

combined trailer + load?

D

·
0 Posts
I would imagine loaded, christ it be some trailer if it weighted 85% of the cars weight.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
very true Damien ..... was only asking for clarification

I was talking to my insurance co a few weeks back & they told me once the trailer itself was under 1/2 tonne weight & as it is a double axel trailer, just give them the dimensions.....

i asked was there a max load weight they said no.

D

·
0 Posts
I know bud lol, but can ya imagine a 1 ton trailer lol and then put a car on it with a car towing:D Be some low rider there:p

M

·
0 Posts
The other fact is even with a braking trailer a 156 is not designed to operate with a load of 2000 plus kilos strapped to its back and then whatever else is in the boot but check with the owners manual as I know my 166 is not capable of that type load according to Alfa..

·
Registered
417 Posts
My sister towed a 2.7 ton snack bar with a pug 407 2.2 hdi with no problem but when she realised it was over the weight limit she traded the 407 in for an ugly kia jeep with a 3 ton towing capacity,the kia was crap for towing any speed above 45 and the snack-bar started to snake but the 407 with the much lower towing capacity was stable at 60mph.My advice is ignore the official towing capacity and tow whatever you and the vehicle feel comfortible with.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
And your advice could get someone in serious trouble. Exceeding weight limits are very serious offences, even more so if you were to have an accident.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2.4JTD Car in question is now sold....

·
Registered
652 Posts
The other fact is even with a braking trailer a 156 is not designed to operate with a load of 2000 plus kilos strapped to its back and then whatever else is in the boot but check with the owners manual as I know my 166 is not capable of that type load according to Alfa..
If possible, using a RWD or AWD/4WD will work better for towing. Or at least have a big diesel if using a FWD (but maybe a 2.4JTD Sportwagon with self levelling suspension might be passable) to keep front wheel traction/preserve the clutch. I think the short wheel base four wheel drives work best for towing. Sounds like the Kia another poster mentioned was a complete turkey! If you get snaking/shimmy, you need to rethink your towing vehicle. As said, the pure technical specs don't tell the full story. You also need to make sure the trailer is included on your car insurance (as well as having the correct driving licence). As a matter of interest, they tow with petrol engines (automatics) in the US a lot but tend to add transmission coolers.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I did say whatever the car and driver is comfortable with. where I live on the west coast of scotland we get lots of people towing caravans who are a complete hazard and most of them are legal,yes I have done a lot of towing in my 28years of driving and I consider myself a natural driver.there are numtys driving cars with to many driving aids PAS ABS ESC ect they close there windows and think they know how to drive,I would remove all those driving aids from all those people in their crap cars (not alfas)and teach them to drive properly.If you are a natural driver you will know youself when you are towing to much,I dont need a some guy wearing a uniform with a mustache to tell me.As for getting someone in serious trouble there are drivers who always bring attension to themselves they should have their vehicles confiscated and banned from driving.I have driven in several countrys and in the UK the standard of driving is by far the worst.a natural driver only gets stopped by the police when they want to have a good look at a nice car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts