Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like to know what is the weak point on the front suspension with the 156 2.4JTD, I have a knock on both sides of the car more so on the left, do the wishbones have a weakness with the heavy lump of the 2.4 JTD, would it be worth changing the front wishbones.

Hammo.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
to check LOWER ball joint wear do the following:

1. Jack the wheel off the ground.

2. tirn the steering so as the wheel is full lock to that side

3. using a long 'prise' bar place it onto the ball-joint & into the upright

4. now pull DOWNWARDs , if the ball is worn you will see/feel the movement

if worn, replace

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the balljoint all part of the wishbone then, if so its a complete wishbone change i take it.

Thanks Hammo.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
yes,you are correct.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Like to know what is the weak point on the front suspension with the 156 2.4JTD, I have a knock on both sides of the car more so on the left, do the wishbones have a weakness with the heavy lump of the 2.4 JTD, would it be worth changing the front wishbones.

Hammo.
Knock can also come from the inner mounting of the lower arms ... or the upper wishbones (bushes and/or balljoint) or the a/r drop-links. Then there are the a/r bar bushes, worn shocks or the steering rack.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this job a DIY job on the drive or would be best to take it to my local garage.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
It can be done, but the changing the lower arm normally means disconnecting the driveshaft as it's a pig to get back with it is situ. If you are changing the uppers as well, and can remove the lower strut mounting fork you might find you can get the new arm in without disturbing the driveshafts. The fun comes when you are trying to relocate the ball joint into the hub unit ... I did it once with the driveshafts connected. I dropped the balljoint in first and managed to force the inner mounting into place, but I also managed to cross thread one of the mounting bolts which was a PITA.

The last time I changed and arm (two weeks ago) I had to change the upper arm and inner CV joint as well, so I disconnected the driveshaft from the gearbox end ( 6 x 6mm hex bolts and 13mm nuts) and removed the hub and upright in one piece. Put the new arm back, and then replaced the hub, etc. That method also means disconnecting the steering track-rod end ...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sound slike a job for my local garage then, do you think the knocking i have will be coming from the lower wishbone balljoint or bushes, know hard without hearing the noise.

Its a triple knock sound when i go over any bumps or pot holes. just think it might be best to have both wishbones changed, would you agree.

Hammo.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might order some ARB of you tomorrow via paypal, just in case I need them this week when the lower wishbones are fitted, how can order the part from you.

Thanks for all your help much appreciated.

Hammo.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I might order some ARB of you tomorrow via paypal, just in case I need them this week when the lower wishbones are fitted, how can order the part from you.

Thanks for all your help much appreciated.

Hammo.

assuming you are talking to me if you want to bush 22mm ARB bushes then just payapl to [email protected] the meer price of €30 P&P included

you may want replacement anti-sway collar too.

if they are the 'narrow steel' [ approx 5mm wide ] type you won't need them but if they are the wider [ 10mm ] bakealite type you most likely will need them.

i sell BOTH bushes & replacement collars for £50

1 - 12 of 12 Posts