Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 156 started playing up on the way home when it lost power and seemed sluggish. I started it up again with the intention of going for a test run but it would barely move from stationary, and when just revving the engine the rpm barely crept up the dial. Now the next day it won't start at all. It turns over fine but apart from odd coughs and splutters shows no desire to spring into life.
Diagnostics show no errors apart from the p0683 glow plug error that I've had for a couple of years.
I'm wondering if the crank position sensor has decided to suddently give up the ghost rather than its more usual slow decline. Has anyone got any thoughts on what it might be?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
could be EGR MAP MAF.......... i would whip first 2 off and clean them out of crud /deposits and see if any difference
when was last time fuel filter was changed ....replace that if you dont know or remember
to see if crank sensor is working ...put rpm on graph and crank it over you should see crankin rpm

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Davealfa. :thumbs: Turned out to be the EGR valve being held open by small chunks of solid carbon causing the car to grossly overfuel. Still, at least the car got a new fuel filter and the MAP cleaned out as needless to say I looked at the correct culprit last.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts