Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi (again)

my JTD is overdue a service and I want ot make sure I get the right oil..

I traverl 30 miles a day for work - 150 a week, so need a good lube!

any reccommendations ? and alos - what is the best service intervals for these engines.. ?

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
5W40 ACEA B4 spec synthetic.
Plenty of choice to suit all budgets. Take a look at the Opie oils website to get an idea.

Service interval is 12-months/12000miles (or 20000km).

·
Registered
99 Posts
Does it have a DPF? If so ACEA A3/B4 is the spec but I would use an ACEA C3 oil that is also recommended for A3/B4 applications.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I use Miller Oils XFD 5w-40 Full Synthetic Diesel in mine which was the recommendation a couple of years back. I'm not sure if there is now anything better. I have always done an interim oil change on my vehicles at half the recommended mileage (ie 6,000 miles in this case) and would always recommend that to others. No point changing the oil filter that often though. Long service intervals are mostly driven by marketing needs rather than by engine longevity.

Keith

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keith - sounds a really god idea - I might apply the same as I love this car and dont want it to die!

SteveNZ - I am not sure if mine has a DPF - how would I know? - it is a 2005 car...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Long service intervals are mostly driven by marketing needs rather than by engine longevity.

Keith
I use to think that too but oil has improved significantly in the last 10-20 years. If you use the correct oil it will safely go the long distances quoted.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I think the millers xfd has been discontinued, Comma syner d is a good all round oil and at about £26 a gallon cheap enough to change more often than recommended.

I would always change the filter whenever you do an oil change

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great - Thanks for your help - Payday tomorrow so you know what I will be doing this weekend!

Thansk again all of your advice and help is appreciated.

·
Registered
30,017 Posts
What would happen if you put 5w30 in said engine??

How would I tell?
As im sure that is what was used at my last change
The 2.4 has never been spec'd with a 5W30, even in the 159/Brera when the 1.9/2.0 moved to 5W30, and I expect there would have been a very good reason why they didn't also put the 2.4 on 5W30.

As for how you can tell.... you can't.

·
Registered
99 Posts
A 5w30 A3/B4 or C3 rated oil would probably be fine. This will meet the same minimum viscosity requirements of a 5w40 A3/B4 or C3. However I would not use a 5w30 SN, that is a very different oil altogether.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts