Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps

Hoping you can help me here, I do the same miles every week! Now the mpg is starting to go down, three weeks ago I put a new stat in, which has helped abit but not much!i was getting over 50 mpg now under! I'm going to clean the egr and blank it both ends as I only blanked it at the inlet and not exhaust manifold! What about cleaning maf and map ?
Car had oil change a two months ago, cleaned air filter at the same time! Fuel filter last year

Regards john

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
When you say cleaned air filter I presume you mean its an aftermarket unit and you used special fluid? If not AM then you need a new one as banging them out isn't good enough. Diesel filter done at the same time if not then do that? Clean you map sensor too as it's on the back of the inlet manfold and do the EGR. Plus it is winter my friend. All cars get a bit worse in winter as its cold. Check for splits in the turbo hose too as that won't help.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
:think: Yeah they can be funny with the MAF but hey. I meant the MAP sensor though. totally different to the MAF. (see item 4 in eper.) Looks like you'll be busy with the EGR the :rolleyes: :lol:

eper 2.4 10v inlet plenum picture linky

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I just used electrical contact cleaner on mine. Don't think they are as fragile as the MAF's are :)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
No worries. Let us know how you get on :)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Nope. Usually if its running rough and you disconnect and the engine returns to normal then it's knackered. yours is fine :)

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Hi

Yeah it's a k&n had it on there 18 months, lightly oiled it as I know about killing the mafs with aftermarket filters! Turbo hoses are silicone. Will change the fuel filter at the weekend too
Other than that it's going great, just want to keep on top of it:thumbs:
lightly oiled it ..have you done 50k in 18months???????

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Hi chaps

Hoping you can help me here, I do the same miles every week! Now the mpg is starting to go down, three weeks ago I put a new stat in, which has helped abit but not much!i was getting over 50 mpg now under! I'm going to clean the egr and blank it both ends as I only blanked it at the inlet and not exhaust manifold! What about cleaning maf and map ?
Car had oil change a two months ago, cleaned air filter at the same time! Fuel filter last year

Regards john
your economy go down after the above?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
about that time,but that was the stat dieing aswell! the filter was black aswell
personally i think you may have contaminated your MAF but seek professional advice ...a black filter doesnt mean poor air filtration .. when cleaning filter did you clean out the box spotlessly ?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
maybe, theres no air box,all junked;)
well if your economy has gone down drastically since air filter (service) i would have thought be problem ....... disconnecting MAF on diesels dont give same diagnosis of petrols .unplugging maf (good one) car tends to lack power smoothness ..if yours is same regardless i would have thought that be my diagnosis

·
Banned
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Morning chaps

Thought I'd give you a bit of an update!
Had the car in bits Saturday, egr has seized up, slit it from the solinoid , freed it up and cleared it up, very gunked up! Plus oiled solinoid up as that was sticking too, cleaned map sensor , that was covered in gunk too, took the shut down flap out cleaned that! Cleaned the entrance to the inlet! Don't know how the engine breathed, it was so gunked up!! Blanked egr both sides of it, then sprayed contact cleaner over the maf Sunday morning as I couldn't take it off, so sprayed from above!
Drove the car to work today seems better and more responsive ,But don't want to get carried away! will keep an eye on the fuel gauge and report back fingers crossed with good news:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts