Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off to look at a 2001 Y 2.4jtd 10v (150 i think) next week. Anything on top of the usual 156 things I should be checking for?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well some of my experiences:-

`Y` will be 140 bhp

Look for:

Uneven tyre wear
Listen for Knocks/rattles from suspension
Check all electrics (especially rear windows)
Get underneath and check the underseal, some models seem to have minimal or flaking underseal especially where trolley jacks have been wrongly positioned to jack the car up
Lift rear kicker plates and slip hand under the soundproofing in rear footwells, well known area for collecting water due to poor door seals, sunroof drain pipes etc, i have looked at 4-5 cars where the drain holes have been covered in underseal rendering them useless
Check temperature gets up to 80-85 on a decent run as Thermostats are weak

Above all check belts and associated tensioners etc have been changed and when.

I love my car but they do seem to have common `niggles`

Enjoy

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I ended up buying the car. I haven't worked out if it's a 136, 140 or 150 but I do know it has oomph! Putting the number plate into an insurance search says it's a 150, I'll know for sure I guess once I go to a dealer and give them the chassis number.

It was doing the black smoke thing, but I think this was just down to a split pipe between the intercooler and tb. Thermostat does need doing, as I think does egr valve. All good ways of keeping me entertained at the weekends!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi

Nice one, the 150 bhp was introduced with a mild facelift in April/May 2002, in standard form they go nicely and give anything between 36-45mpg dependant on conditions and driving style so not the best but then again the 5 cylinder does not sound like a tractor.

Regards

·
Registered
16 Posts
Indeed, the 5 cyclinder sounds more Quattro than tractor:lol: And your right Tatters they do have niggles but they're also easy to loooooooooooooooooooooooove when they're running right:p

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine has always been rough and noisy in urban stop start traffic. There's some good advice above. Also- ensure a lengthy test drive; if for any reason the driveline isn't smooth then walk away. I wish I had done, but I was buying from a main agent and assumed it would have been properly checked....

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Well I ended up buying the car. I haven't worked out if it's a 136, 140 or 150 but I do know it has oomph! Putting the number plate into an insurance search says it's a 150, I'll know for sure I guess once I go to a dealer and give them the chassis number.

It was doing the black smoke thing, but I think this was just down to a split pipe between the intercooler and tb. Thermostat does need doing, as I think does egr valve. All good ways of keeping me entertained at the weekends!
Sounds about right ,once you do the thermo you will find the fuel consumption will be better too, just watch the heater matrix hoses are ok too .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts