Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cars developed a hesitation when cold at low revs - then occasionally when warm monster lag very occasionally on round about starts...

also very rare stammer on motorway under light load - dip the clutch or accelerate and it gos away

thinking egr valve? or wastgate? any thoughts?

no check engine lights - but will it show up on diagnostics?

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Sounds very much like egr valve - this is a VERY dangerous fault Alfa need to sort out quickly on their diesel engines :tut:

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
I had something very similar on my 156 and it was the vacuum pipe to the wastegate which had a small split in it. I'm not sure if the current 2.4 wastegate is vacuum operated but it was a quick and easy fix.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Mike - how do you mean dangerous? As I understood, faults with EGR are annoying, but I haven't heard dangerous. And you can blank it off with no ill effects.

Rick - can you describe the vacuum pipe you mentioned, so I can check mine. I have a 140 bhp engine ( with silver & black engine cover and the EGR* mounted on the back of the engine.).

cheers all.

* I've replaced this and believe it to be working properly.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Rick - can you describe the vacuum pipe you mentioned, so I can check mine. I have a 140 bhp engine ( with silver & black engine cover and the EGR* mounted on the back of the engine.).
Open the bonnet :lol: and look straight down. You should see the wastegate just behind the radiator. It's like a gold mushroom looking thing. There's a small diameter black rubber pipe leading to it. You can trace this back over the block - you will need to take the plastic cam cover off.

Thinking about it, I think mine recorded a boost fault in the ECU when this happened.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Well mate if you pull out of juction on a very fast road or roundabout and you put your foot down and the car crawls onto the road before eventually spluttering into life i'd say that's pretty damn dangerous...if you have egr issues don't EVER take a risk pulling out of a juction or you could be in a lot of trouble.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers guys - going to do my own investigation - then take to alfa.

pretty certain its influenced with heat as well.

bit of a mix of waste gate and egr issue i think. wastegate makes some funny noises as well occasionally.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm not technical but with a year of experincing it I tie the issue to the DPF and a problem when it gets blocked. Sometimes the software will not trigger the recycle and short journeys don't help matters.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Mine clogged up in winter on short journeys when there was'nt enough heat to clear it out.

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
EGR, injectors, DPF or blocked manifold...had all these done when my last 159 was stuttering. Its def an issue and needs sorting. I left mine too late and the car got shot (that amongst lots of more serious issues - drive shaft and leaking crank shaft).:(

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
BTW my new TI doesnt have ANY of these issues Im pleased to report:thumbs:

·
Registered
15,180 Posts

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
cheers guys - going to do my own investigation - then take to alfa.
pretty certain its influenced with heat as well.
bit of a mix of waste gate and egr issue i think. wastegate makes some funny noises as well occasionally.
A noisy wastegate :confused:

What kind of noise is it making :confused:

·
Registered
43,564 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A noisy wastegate :confused:

What kind of noise is it making :confused:
you can hear a phut phut phut chatter when backing off at low speed - sorry [email protected] at describing!

bit like turbo stall but on a lesser extent ie when the dump valve jams on a petrol turbo (again not that common of an example i imagine!)

can anyone confirm if the wastegate is purely vacuum or is there a soleniod controlling it?

not up to speed on the 5 pot to be honest

1 - 18 of 18 Posts