Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Is my engine scrap? :(

Removed all the broken rockers and hauñted every crevice and counted coming out with 15 needle bearings AWOL. So it is I believe time to take the sump off??

Had a look at the camshafts and on the inlet manifold I noticed gourge marks I can catch a nail on two lobes, is this a new head (cam carrier) or do I call it quits?

I'm sick to the bone right now! All this damage over a seized Alt pulley that snapped that horrid little belt!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
You have counted correctly? Bit of a coincidence that there are 15 per rocker and you have 15 missing. Sump off is easy enough if they are missing. If the marks are not proud of the lobe I would risk it. If any of it is proud then your need to do something....either replace the camshaft (lots of used ones about cheap) or dress the high bits back and risk it. I ran a cam with much worse damage than that on an 11000 rpm bike. Never got noisy or caused and issues in the next 20,000 miles I owned it. Most will say to replace it.....your choice.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks AlfaItalia, have just been trawling flleabay and they all want me to buy the full carrier but I have one that is considering selling me the inlet cam and will get back tomorrow.

As regards the rockers, I counted them thrice and it is surprisingly 15 bearings missing. 4 on the back right as I look from engine front and 5 from fourth in from right and 6 from 4th in left.

I am resigned to removing sump and with the way my luck is at the moment, should I not find the 15, is there a way to flush the engine oil pathways and as a result flush whatever bearings are hidden inside?

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Have been quietly getting on with strip down and now have turned the corner and rebuild begins.

Removed subframe as it needed welded and that has been returned, removed sump and flushed engine with a gallon of kerosene several times and flushed out the missing needle bearings and cleaned the engine oil pathways in the process.

Sump was bolted back on yesterday and I got to thinking that I do not know if managed to bend any valves? Do I just continue the rebuild with new rockers etc and just do a compression test just before I'm ready with fingers crossed to fire it up?

Or! Is there something else I might do at this stage that might settle my mind?

·
Registered
184 Posts
The rockers are designed to be sacrificed instead of bending valves. When my adjuster failed we just replaced the rockers and cam belt and away it went.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
You could always fill the ports in head with kerosene and see if any leaks through valve seats. Do one side first then the other. But as said rockers are designed to be sacrificial to save the valves.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks, my worry is that the cambelt didn't snap it jumped a few teeth and smashed all the inlet rockers but the exhaust side remain intact. (*Replaced for new as per advice)

So, my thinking was that I and two mechanics spent some time attempting to start as belt looked intact and I'm worried this may have damaged a few valves? I shall do the leak down test as you recommend though and keep fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Just reading back through is head still on? My leak down Method is best when head is on the bench but if you have manifolds off you could still do it so long as cam carrier not on. Just remember to spin engine over with glow plugs/injectors out prior to starting to get rid of the kerosene

21 - 30 of 30 Posts