Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
sI have today,just picked up a 2007 2.4 jtdm Brera. Traded my 1.9 GT in after 3 great and trouble free years. I just have one question regarding oil.Is the Brera engine the same as the 159 2.4?
The reason i ask is,Comma Syner G is quoted ok for the 159,but does not seem to be listed for the Brera.
The reason i ask is i still have around 7 litres of the comma but dont want to use it if not suitable.
Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
AFAIK the only differences between 2.4 JTDM is that the early engine in the 159 was 200bhp and that was fairly quickly superseded by 210bhp with different turbo and injectors. My opinion is if it is the same bhp then all other components will be the same and so the oil for 200bhp in Brera should be compatible with 200bhp in 159 and the same should apply that an oil for the 210bhp engine in the Brera should be good for the 210bhp engine in the 159.

A manufacturer will sometime list a higher grade oil later in the life of a vehicle as oil technology changes. It isn't quite that the old oil is wrong just that newer spec is better. But if you really start talking about oil then that will be hundreds of posts and the measure of "better" is difficult to quantify because better for what is an appropriate question. e.g. some additives that were VERY good for long engine life were bad for exhaust cats so that additive was seriously reduced or removed. Good for cat but not so good for mechanical wear!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick reply. That does bring up another question. The car was registered in august 2007 on an 07 plate.
How do i tell if its the 200 or 210 model?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts