Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone.

Im looking for some advice. I have been having a reoccurring issue where my Brera will choke/stutter and then put itself in limp mode but only when under full acceleration in 4th/5th/6th gears.

The car is responsive and smooth up through 1st/2nd & 3rd but as soon as I put it in 4th + and accelerate the turbo spools up for a few seconds then stutters and I get limp mode.

When plugging it in at the local garage the error is showing as the boost sensor.

I have removed and cleaned the boost sensor and the egr valve (which were both gunked up). I have also blanked the egr with a blanking plate. I have also tried running a few bottles of redex through the fuel system just in case it is the injectors.

Has anyone come across this before??

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
have you got something like fiatECUScan or MultiECUScan available?

Would be interesting to see the desired boost plotted against the actual boost and see what you come out at!

Are you confident that you are getting the right amount of boost, i.e. not leaking anywhere, listen for hissing noises under throttle.

Choking / stuttering tends to hint at lost boost rather than too much, although why only evident in 4+ cog I can't explain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Artemis, thanks for your reply. There doesnt seem to be and hissing or strange noises under boost, but it is hard to tell for sure as am doing a fair speed before I reach the higher gears. Unfortunately I do not have any of the scan equipment available either and want to avoid taking it to a dealer if possible!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mmm I had a similar problem to yours but was doing it from 3rd gear onwards and between 3000-4000rpm... Cut a long story short the car was completely choked up.. Removed dpf/remap stopped the limp mode having but then had the problem with bellows of soot coming out the back... Final investigatation lower turbo hose to the intercooler had a 2inch hole that was causing the problem all along! To add insult to injury it also appeared on mine the intercooler was damaged when fitted on the production line so having to sort that too :-/

Def worth checking the hoses with the under tray off!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Oh just to add i had also been running rhino fuel treatment, boost sensor cleaned, then replaced, terra clean of all which didn't solve my problem!

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
If you can, give the usual suspects a good clean, especially the MAP and EGR.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chaps,

Hope my experience helps. My 159 2.4JTDM suffered with fluctuating turbo boost, poor performance and juddering when accelerating in 4, 5 and 6th gears from low RPM. Although im still tackling the juddering, the other two problems were attributed to the swirl flaps. The synchro rod had come off leaving the flaps to move wherever they wanted. This caused poor cold starting with lots of white smoke, turbo boost pulsating under hard acceleration and poor performance all round.
I had replaced the intake manifold for new and now the problems are all fixed. I have heard that this is a fault with the design of the manifold and that a mod was released to improve the reliability of the manifold. Does anybody have any comments about this?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Chaps,

Hope my experience helps. My 159 2.4JTDM suffered with fluctuating turbo boost, poor performance and juddering when accelerating in 4, 5 and 6th gears from low RPM. Although im still tackling the juddering, the other two problems were attributed to the swirl flaps. The synchro rod had come off leaving the flaps to move wherever they wanted. This caused poor cold starting with lots of white smoke, turbo boost pulsating under hard acceleration and poor performance all round.
I had replaced the intake manifold for new and now the problems are all fixed. I have heard that this is a fault with the design of the manifold and that a mod was released to improve the reliability of the manifold. Does anybody have any comments about this?
Yes they modified the bushes in on the swirls flap.

On the old design the whole lot rotated and on the new design only the centre now rotates. I changed mine a while back as my swirl flaps were leaking like a sieve.

It solved the air file ratio issues on mine which gave me the opportunity, with a lot of help remap wise from Gus at Alfatune, to tune it more than most.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi everyone.

Im looking for some advice. I have been having a reoccurring issue where my Brera will choke/stutter and then put itself in limp mode but only when under full acceleration in 4th/5th/6th gears.

The car is responsive and smooth up through 1st/2nd & 3rd but as soon as I put it in 4th + and accelerate the turbo spools up for a few seconds then stutters and I get limp mode.

When plugging it in at the local garage the error is showing as the boost sensor.

I have removed and cleaned the boost sensor and the egr valve (which were both gunked up). I have also blanked the egr with a blanking plate. I have also tried running a few bottles of redex through the fuel system just in case it is the injectors.

Has anyone come across this before??
Does it idle correctly?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi There Read my threads and see what i had to do. Anyone having these problems just need to replace manifold and head off and a decoke, Not cheap and how long will it last until it happens again. These fuel additives and cleaning fluids are not worth a ----. The damage has already been done and i seen mine and it would take a hammer and chisel to break the carbon of. These cleaning THINGS will never shift it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts