Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
This problem doesn't happen with a BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox right ?
It is not an open filter so is better, but that depends on how it's installed. The best way to install them is to leave the existing pipework in place and to fit the CDA in the position of the existing airbox. The cold feed pipe should then be attached to the CDA and positioned to feed it cold air from a cool location like the wing, or if your brave then from the front grill.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Yes,that is correct I tried a 57i induction kit and lost 7 bhp ! I got my money back:) I now have a CDA as Tahir says it is fitted in the original place and the cold air is picked up through the N/S front lower grill, sounds great and a couple more bhp

John

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
mine has the K&N fitted, it was on there when i bought the car. it was just hanging down by the side of the engine but i have managed to loosen it all off and angle it into the wheel arch/wing area. its probably not perfect but it is pointing away from the engine now and it makes a better sound now its where it is, a BMC CDA is what i would prefer to have but at the moment ill have to make do with what ive got :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
man....7bhp less :eek:

I have another question about the BMC CDA. I was watching for example the Autodelta intake and the only thing I can see is the Intake going down under the engine and you can't see the opened filter becouse he stays under the engine.

Is the BMC CDA mounted by the same way , under the engine ?? I think this can be a good way becouse cops couldn't see the aftermarket filter :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
However.........if you are not performing an intake 'mod' for noise I think it is an utter waste of your hard earned money going for things like the CDA.

Case in point - replacing a closed original Alfa airbox for a closed aftermarket airbox.

The results are neligable on the dyno and imo the CDA is probably the quietest aftermarket kit. I certainly wouldn't spend a great deal on a CDA put it like that.

It's more a gimmick than a vastly improved functional device over standard.

Without getting too techy :

If you are after bhp gains look for improvements from OE airbox to throttle body - this is where power and torque is made. I don't agree with the Autodelta 'intake pipes' or any other that do away with the helmholtz chambers. These are important for instant air to throttle body, especially at lower revs from full throttle. In short the standard pipework is pretty good and difficult to improve on without spending a small fortune in rolling road time and r&d.

The filter will make 1-2 bhp either way dependant on how well it flows and how well it keeps the heat out of the intake - that is it. IF you want to spend £250 - I would spend it on a remap rather than a CDA.

On my car I have a standard intake system with the feed to the airbox picking up air from the front venturi.

It may be again negligable but was completely free in cost and the car revs faster (to the point I hit the limiter when I first performed it as the car revved so much quicker) it also seems more respnsive at high speeds.

It may not be flawless or to everyones taste but the improvement was noticable and was completely free! Has been on the car all year like this through rain and shine without a hiccup.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hoi Fabio

Alles was du beim Autodelta Kit bekommst ist das Carbonrohr, welches ein Stück des originalen Ansaugrohrs ersetzt. Somit fallen die Resonanzkörper (schwarze Kisten am originalen Rohr) weg. Zudem erhälst du einen Austauschluftfilter für den originalen Luftfilterkasten. Es ist also kein offenes Luftfiltersystem.

Gruess Philipp

View attachment 123033

Dear Fabio

All you get fom the Autodelta kit is a piece of carbonfibre pipe to replace the piece of pipe from the airbox where the resonators are attached. You also get a replacement airfilter to put in the original airbox. It therefore isn't an open airfilter system.

Cheers Philipp

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
At least they are being honest :)

I would go for a CDA, I don't know if it makes any more power as its just doing basically what the OEM box does but it sounds utterly gorgeous on a V6, if anything better than a K&N (I had both on my 3.0)

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Dans right ,CDA sounds great and gives more power K&N loses power plus engine sounds flat

John

The Autodelta pipe can be used with CDA

·
Vendor
46,115 Posts
I also removed the resonators on mine, perhaps that upped the volume in combination with the CDA.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hoi Fabio

Alles was du beim Autodelta Kit bekommst ist das Carbonrohr, welches ein Stück des originalen Ansaugrohrs ersetzt. Somit fallen die Resonanzkörper (schwarze Kisten am originalen Rohr) weg. Zudem erhälst du einen Austauschluftfilter für den originalen Luftfilterkasten. Es ist also kein offenes Luftfiltersystem.

Gruess Philipp

View attachment 123033

Dear Fabio

All you get fom the Autodelta kit is a piece of carbonfibre pipe to replace the piece of pipe from the airbox where the resonators are attached. You also get a replacement airfilter to put in the original airbox. It therefore isn't an open airfilter system.

Cheers Philipp
GRAZIE :lol: Ich werde kein Ansaugrohr von Autodelta kaufen. Gestern habe ich auf ein anderm Forum gelsen dass Leute die ein Ansaugrohr von Autodelta bestellt hatten, haben nach 5 Monate nocht nichts erhalten und ich habe überhaupt keine Lust so lang zu warten :)

-

Thank You. I think I'll buy no Intake from Autodelta. Yesterday I red on another forum from Switzerland that many users who have odered that Intake from Autodelta , are still waiting for that after 5 Months .....:wow: :eek:

So I think I'll buy a BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox :D

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
i just put in a std K&N replacement panel, it ups the noise very slightly and did notice i got another 1mpg out of the car on long motorway run.
But when i went to view my car from previous owner he had a BMC CDA fitted and it did sound lovely, maybe it will go bk at somepoint

·
Registered
642 Posts
Mine was definitely loud when it was fitted, at 4000+rpm it would take over the exhaust sound inside the car and that was with an unsilenced centre pipe fitted and my exhaust was not quiet at all. I had the standard pipework in place too so had the resonators in place at the time.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
I don't agree with the Autodelta 'intake pipes' or any other that do away with the helmholtz chambers. These are important for instant air to throttle body, especially at lower revs from full throttle. In short the standard pipework is pretty good and difficult to improve on without spending a small fortune in rolling road time and r&d.

The filter will make 1-2 bhp either way dependant on how well it flows and how well it keeps the heat out of the intake - that is it. IF you want to spend £250 - I would spend it on a remap rather than a CDA.
Well said :)

Drop in filter and a remap FTW

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Just ordered a BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox :lol: In 1 Week I'll get it but I have to wait that my Mechanic comes back from Italy to mount it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts