Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of going down the Wizard/Custom exhaust route, however as I've got an auto I'm worried it may drone at motorway speeds.
Are there any 2.4 q-tronic owners out there that have deleted their back boxes and can comment on whether they get any noise issues?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Why would an auto drone and a manual not? just curious

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would an auto drone and a manual not? just curious
Auto boxes tend to hold at a different rev. range when cruising, at least Audi S4s used to, it was a big thing for them, people with the manuals would rave about exhaust mods and people with the autos would despair because it would drone like mad, just wanted to make sure the same thing isn't true for the 159!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Auto boxes tend to hold at a different rev. range when cruising, at least Audi S4s used to, it was a big thing for them, people with the manuals would rave about exhaust mods and people with the autos would despair because it would drone like mad, just wanted to make sure the same thing isn't true for the 159!
hmmm I see. I thought the final drive was the same for 159 autos and manuals but I'm probably wrong!

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you keep katalyst and DPF as well the cabin noise is very liveable.

I tend to find a rev below or above where there is a noisy spot.
Been to Cannes and back again this summer and it wasn't annoying at any point.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to do the same thing. There are a few youtube videos of the 2.4 without mufflers and the sound is amazing.
I am not sure how to do it, though..
Would something like this work:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flow-Exhaust-Back-Silencer-Straight-Pipe-ALFA-ROMEO-159-1-9-2-0-2-2-2-4-JTS-JTDM-/112823479289

Or should I go to a local garage and simply get the mufflers cut and some ordinary pipes welded in their place..:scratchchin:
Yep that's exactly what I ended up buying, except you can get them with the centre pipe for a few more £s, the sound is nice at the rear but unfortunately you still get the tractor noise up front!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep that's exactly what I ended up buying, except you can get them with the centre pipe for a few more £s, the sound is nice at the rear but unfortunately you still get the tractor noise up front!
Yes, just saw that offering too.
But isn't it possible to use the center pipe that's already on the car?
And just cut the two original end pipes with the mufflers?
Sorry if my question is lame, I don't know much about exhaust systems..

Do you happen to have a video of the sound of these straight trough's?
Would be nice to hear how they perform - lot's of videos on youtube, but everybody uses something different and I can't really tell what I am going to achieve with them and if they will be on par with the rest.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, just saw that offering too.
But isn't it possible to use the center pipe that's already on the car?
And just cut the two original end pipes with the mufflers?
Sorry if my question is lame, I don't know much about exhaust systems..

Do you happen to have a video of the sound of these straight trough's?
Would be nice to hear how they perform - lot's of videos on youtube, but everybody uses something different and I can't really tell what I am going to achieve with them and if they will be on par with the rest.
Should fit, but I'd have struggled to get them off as I only did it on my garage floor + my mid-pipe looked a bit worse for wear. Sorry I haven't got any vids of it running but sounds exactly like the wizards which there are plenty of vids on you tube.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I want to do the same thing. There are a few youtube videos of the 2.4 without mufflers and the sound is amazing.
I am not sure how to do it, though..
Would something like this work:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flow-Exhaust-Back-Silencer-Straight-Pipe-ALFA-ROMEO-159-1-9-2-0-2-2-2-4-JTS-JTDM-/112823479289

Or should I go to a local garage and simply get the mufflers cut and some ordinary pipes welded in their place..:scratchchin:
i have these on my 2.4 159, no noticeable noise increase at normal revs bit throatier when you plant the right foot

i havent noticed any droning at any speed up to 80mph

i also bought them with the centre pipe cost £170 shipped to uk

it comes with new exhaust clamps and hanging rubbers which is a bonus

link to item with centre pipe https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flow-Exhaust-Back-Silencer-Straight-Pipe-ALFA-ROMEO-159-1-9-2-0-2-2-2-4-JTS-JTDM/112596371846?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

·
Registered
592 Posts
once my phone charges i will attempt to get a recording of the sound levels, stuck in a queue for 2 hours today and playing games on my phone has killed it lol

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have wizard back pipes on my 2.4.
The difference in noise from start up and idling is noticeable though barely inside the vehicle. From outside however it does sound good- a nice burble on idle and when revved it sounds really good.
Driving there is no drone or dreaded loud spot, just a nice grunt when you put your foot down.
The wizard pipes are so nicely manufactured, which may not be a huge selling point, but it's all good quality materials and workmanship at play!

·
Registered
592 Posts
sorry by the time phone was charged it started raining here, will get in a bit when son comes home to hold the phone while i do the throttle

·
Registered
9 Posts
here is video and yes car was warmed up as had just driven home from work, and look not a single puff of smoke :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBcomJTspJs
Wow, sounds nice! Thanks mate, that's all I needed to hear!

Meanwhile, my uncle told me that he has been working with exhausts in the past and could modify the original one/cut the boxes.
I have to see him so he can explain in details.
Then I will be able to decide which way to go.
Will report here when I get something done!

By the way, mine smokes like a chimney when i rev it, but I removed the dpf and remapped it, so..I guess it's the price I have to pay :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts