Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a problem with my 156.

There is a screeching / rattling side on the biting point when the clutch is depressed or released. This is worse when the engine is cold, but doesn't go away entirely when the car has warmed up. The gearchange is ok, and clutch seems fine. There is a vibration at the biting point, if the clutch is held here.

I think it may be the dreaded flywheel. What do you guys think? I was hoping it was the clutch release bearing!

Also I know the the gearbox is the GM F40. Does this mean the flywheel can be used from the Saab / Vectra / Signum? Is it the same spec, or are there changes?
I am hoping that I can get the flywheel & clutch cheaper as a result.

I have also come across two manufacturers for (listing the 156 jtd 20v) Valor and LUK. The LUK seems cheaper, - will this be the same quality? Any ideas where I can source and fit a flywheel at a good price?

Please help!!

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
The noise you describe could be the clutch release bearing, can't help regards the flywheel although I'd be interested in the replies!

Congratulations on joining the 20v club :thumbs: Let's hope you get the problem fixed, mine has just passed 100k and as far as I know she's still on the original clutch.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually - I have had the car for over four years (must change my signature!). I bought the car at 88k, and now showing 137k.

Got to sort out a squealing auxiliary tensioner too!.

Anyone now about the flywheel?

·
Vendor
45,852 Posts
Best of luck sourcing something cheaper, LUK flywheels are on Euro car parts website for £690 inc VAT..

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have found a flywheel at /www.carparts4less.co.uk for £587 (LUK).
Does anyone know if the GM gearbox on the 2.4 20v jtd is the same as Vauxhall / Saab.

I was hoping I would be able to find it cheaper since it is a gm gearbox,...

F

·
0 Posts
Hi Shaz,

I had my DMF, clutch and one of the driveshafts replaced at Peak Alfa for £1089 all-in. I'd have a chat with them - they'revery good!

Fletch

1 - 9 of 9 Posts