Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today RS232 came over and joined me for a nice warm (NOT) afternoon inside his engine bay. He's had a knocking noise on this engine for a few months and it's finally (I hope) solved.

Not only was the original water pump still fited at 150K (bet you 16/20V boys love that), but the timing belt was a tooth out and the aux drive pulley was sliding on the undertorqued bolts. BUT worse yet, on inspecting the cambelt itself it was noted that it was infact a 2.0 TS belt. Also the long standing oil leak from the oil cooler was all solved by tweaking up the oil filter mount.

But as with all my informative posts, here's a picture of the old water pump and it also shows the location of the cam sensor on the 8/10V JTD (cam pulley removed).

Attachments

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
:eek: :eek: a TS belt???? I bet you'll be able to find the paint marks from when they changed it too ...

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
whats the difference between a 2.0L TS belt & a JTD belt then ...apart from £5

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
whats the difference between a 2.0L TS belt & a JTD belt then ...apart from £5
A lot realy, sorry Smaky but a 2 ltr belt has 168 teeth and a 10v JTd belt has 190!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So there is NO way you can fit a 2ltr belt onto an 8 or 10 valve diesel:tut:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
A lot realy, sorry Smaky but a 2 ltr belt has 168 teeth and a 10v JTd belt has 190!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about if you removed the air-con compressor??? ( Just for Pud237 ... ;) )

·
Registered
257 Posts
Bloody Norah! A TS belt!!!!..... Well there is proof for anyone who questions an Alfa's engine reliability... They keep going no matter what!

Well spotted though Smaky.... I bet RS232 will be over the moon when he realises how the car will/should perform now after all this time.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

It was, the part number was still on it and the tensioner was loose.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
How about if you removed the air-con compressor??? ( Just for Pud237 ... ;) )
Air-con is run by the Aux belt NOT the cam belt:tut:

Bloody Norah! A TS belt!!!!..... Well there is proof for anyone who questions an Alfa's engine reliability... They keep going no matter what!

Well spotted though Smaky.... I bet RS232 will be over the moon when he realises how the car will/should perform now after all this time.
Couldn't have a TS belt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
:thumbs:
Hi smaky, not a tick from the engine
Drove it this morning for a few miles and nothing
Not a tick, no noises what so ever from the engine bay apart from that 5 pot diesel sound :thumbs:
The belt (Continental Contitech) was 1 tooth longer than the new one from Gates thats wy the tensioner was on the limit.
Alex now we have to organise a day to break in my force .36 in the Genesis.
Thanks
Ric

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Smaky it doesn't physically fit the Ts belt is a LOT SHORTER than the jtd one, 175mm shorter,:tut:

Sorry mate but you are making a mistake.
OK OK, it was a V6 belt, but what the hel, it was the wrong one, so AT, can you step off your high horse and start to speak politely to people again.

Cheers for leting me know how she went this morning Ric, I was about to PM you and ask. I'm glad it's sorted and am just about to rip the gearbox out of that Sele that was sat next to us yesterday.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
oh boy !! there are some nitpickers on this forum !!!:cheese:

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
OK OK, it was a V6 belt, but what the hel, it was the wrong one, so AT, can you step off your high horse and start to speak politely to people again.
I think i have been very polite Alex,i just said that it couldn't had been a 2ltr belt because it was too short and instead of you just leaving it, now it was a V6 belt .....which is miles too long,give it a rest mate,its you thats being rude.:(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts