Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just had a big coolant leak. Looks like it might have come the top of the hose going from radiator to engine (see pictures) - from what I've read that hole is for a bleed screw. Found what looks like the top of a plastic broken screw in a nearby cranny. I'm no mechanic, but I'm putting two and two together. :ermm:

So I gather from what I've read that the screw can be replaced, perhaps even DIY with a metal one.

(EDIT for anyone reading this in the future - the rough running etc I mention here was an unrelated problem - see later post below).

Question is though, is this likely to be a symptom of something else? Or do these things just wear out? Other possibly relevant info:
- recent rough running at low revs
- engine light on, with beep, in last day or so
- I just replaced spark plugs (prompted by rough running, and 110km odo so time anyway)
- the alternator's recently been replaced (500km ago - by a mechanic, not me!)
- Weirdly (or not?), what prompted me to lift the bonnet was temporary loss of power steering turning into the driveway. So at first I thought I might be looking at PS fluid. But no.

Attachments

·
Registered
720 Posts
Just had a big coolant leak. Looks like it might have come the top of the hose going from radiator to engine (see pictures) - from what I've read that hole is for a bleed screw. Found what looks like the top of a plastic broken screw in a nearby cranny. I'm no mechanic, but I'm putting two and two together. :ermm:

So I gather from what I've read that the screw can be replaced, perhaps even DIY with a metal one.

Question is though, is this likely to be a symptom of something else? Or do these things just wear out? Other possibly relevant info:
- I just replaced spark plugs (prompted by rough running, and 110km odo so time anyway)
- Weirdly (or not?), what prompted me to lift the bonnet was temporary loss of power steering turning into the driveway. So at first I thought I might be looking at PS fluid. But no.
Looks like you are right, bleek nipple is gone. 20180331_092156.jpg

·
Registered
229 Posts
Sounds more like you have a blown head gasket - would explain the rough running (coolant in the cylinders).. CO2 gasses from the leaking gasket is over-pressurizing your cooling system, which is probably what popped the bleeding screw.. it will always find the weakest point and those plastic screws are known for being useless..

·
Registered
720 Posts
Rubber vulcanises, then it gets hard and poreus.
Maybe the belt slipped after getting cooling fluid over it, that can effect the power steering.
And i dont have to explain the water and electricity thing, they dont go very wel together.
I would replace the hose and see what that gives for a result.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wanted to let you know i got exactly the same problem today.
The bleed screw broke and alot of cooling water escaped through the hole.
My local garage fixed it by replacing all of the 3 plastic bleed screws with metal ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OP here - I replaced mine with a bog standard bolt either from my toolbox or the local hardware shop. Probably cost all of $1.50. I think I found the original washer lying somewhere in the engine bay. No problems since then (over a year now).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

(EDIT for anyone reading this in the future - the rough running etc I mention here was an unrelated problem - see later post below).

For posterity - in the original post I mentioned rough running etc. Totally unrelated as it turned out - I hadn't checked the gap on my new and supposedly pre-gapped spark plugs. One of them must have been dropped or something and the gap had closed. Kicking myself for that one, but happy it was nothing serious.

I'm sure there's a lesson in there about conflating symptoms.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the plastic bleed screw fail on my '06 alfa 2.2 JTS, pouring 2-3 liters of coolant before I stopped the engine. Thank you for the helpful information on this thread. Just adding my experience here:

Plastic screw half-broken inside the radiator hose -- removed by placing hot screwdriver into the broken bolt, melting enough of it to gain purchase and remove it by unscrewing.

Replaced with metal M6 (diameter in mm), 1.25 thread pitch, 10 mm depth screw for the 2.2 JTS. Purchased o-rings to fit snugly under the new bolt head and carefully tightened. My model has three such bleed screws on the coolant pipes, two on the right, one on the left side of the JTS engine as you stand in front of it looking at the car.

Bleeded the system after replacing the lost coolant.

The pressure test shows no leak!! Traveled 750km since the change and all good!

Thanks again all -- hope someone else finds this helpful. I shall post pics later on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello Muffy,

It is a good idea to replace all bleed screws before any issues occur.

The thread pitch was measured at the hardware store I purchased the new screws from, based on the piece of broken plastic screw I managed to remove.It may well be an issue with the length of the screw that may affect the available thread pitch.

The screws I bought are also available at prakticer, if such stores exist in your country.
I hope that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts