Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to remove the engine oil from the 2.2 JTS with a suction pump? I've seen contradictory advice on this.
Thanks
Stu

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Still nice to drain though. Sure oil- plug has been never touched and stuck hardly because of top sucking only.
They just afraid to brake it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Contradictory advice on the 2.2 JTS specifically, or generally?

I've used a Pela pump before with good success - my Pela has a measurement gauge so you can see how much has come out, and compare it to how much you know is in there. Albeit that wasn't on a 2.2 JTS.

·
Registered
38,274 Posts
Just make sure the dispick hole is directly above the lowest part of the sump.

On the 2.0 Diesel it isn't and around 1 litre of old oil will get left behind.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
I have a pump that I used on my 159, I could not get the sump plug off even after heating, soaking and using a breaker bar.

Get the oil warm, measure what comes out on the scale on the bottle, put back in what's come out, simples:thumbup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a number of threads on this Forum suggesting you cant get all the old oil out from the top, but perhaps you dont get quite all of it out from the bottom either. Since I'm not someone who relishes the idea of doing an oil change I suspect the ease of the top method will mean I do it more often and therefore will be better for the engine in the long run.

Haven't done it before. Do I need to buy a tool to remove the filter?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have been using a pump for years, and use it now on my Brera. Great system, saves a lot of messing, except for the V6 were the oil filter is hidden away underneath. When I first got it I pumped the oil and then pulled the sump plug to check, done properly it will empty the sump. I was also amazed at how many garages use this system to drain oil.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
There are a number of threads on this Forum suggesting you cant get all the old oil out from the top, but perhaps you dont get quite all of it out from the bottom either. Since I'm not someone who relishes the idea of doing an oil change I suspect the ease of the top method will mean I do it more often and therefore will be better for the engine in the long run.

Haven't done it before. Do I need to buy a tool to remove the filter?
As mention, you never get all the oil out, it hides away in the nooks and crannies, but there won't be more than a few cc's left.

The tool you need for the oil filter is this: Laser 2830 Filter Wrench - Metal Band:Amazon.co.uk:Car & Motorbike

Nothing better, and I've had several different types. Some one did say it was on offer at Aldi/Lidl the other week.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Regarding the oil sump plug I had the same problem that it was stuck.
Broke 2 13mm sockets on it , also tried heating it up and in the end i used a chisel and really lager hammer + the gathered anger (due to the fact i was wasting 3 hours on the stupid sump plug) and got it loose by putting the chisel in the correct direction and hammer it loose but making sure not to damage the sump itself of course.
I got this tip from this forum.

Then bought a new sump plug + ring for 10 euro at the dealer.

Regarding the oil filter, the cap/adapter (which you put on the oil filter housing to get it loose with a socket wrench) needed for at least a 1.9 JTDM 16V (which i have) has an uncommon size and is hart to get.
The oil filter tool as posted above by Verbout is I think the best solution, even my local Alfa dealer uses it.
And indeed I bought a new one 2 weeks ago at the Lidl for 4 euro, so its also the cheapest solution.
The only thing is that by turning the oil filter tool by hand the grip on the oil filter cap is not enough so most likely you need pliers to rotate the oil filter tool tighter to increase the grip on the oil filter cap.

Next time I'm using it I will modify the oil filter tool by cutting a nut in half, welding both sides to the threaded top part of the oil filter tool so I can use a wrench instead to tighten it up, which makes life easier.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Depends on the accuracy of the engineering

It is a rubbish idea to have sump plug with M13 socket.
I have to smash it to move. Now It works for draining.
22JTS plug is not the same to 19JTDm.
:biglaugh:
No problems in over eight years with her indoors Krakin' Korean sump drain plug.:thumbup:

Must admit the Seles' was a PIA until I sorted it out once and for all. :D

PS 14mm Hex steel plug, laminated copper washer on that heap of eastern machinery. :lol:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. Will give it a go when the weather clears. Looks like 5.4L of 5W40 synthetic will do the trick for the 2.2JTS. Sound right?

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm planning to do an oil change on my girlfriend's Peugeot 206 at the same time. Just looked in her car manual and it gives oil capacity for both draining by gravity and draining by suction. Curiously the suction figure is greater than the gravity figure.:thinking:

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
If you change your oil regular, as you should,:vs_no_no_no:I wouldn't expect sludge to be in your sump.

And if you suspect sludge you can flush the system. Never flushed myself.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Not sure what sludge exactly means. There also exist some micro metallic derdis resulted from engine friction.
Oil sump pluge is always magnetized to keep them. Not sure how to suck it from the top. It is one of sump plug purposes.

·
Registered
38,274 Posts
Not sure what sludge exactly means. There also exist some micro metallic derdis resulted from engine friction.
Oil sump pluge is always magnetized to keep them. Not sure how to suck it from the top. It is one of sump plug purposes.
The thick oil full of contaminants and broken down oil additives that often collects in the lower part of the sump.

You can usually get it out by draining the oil whilst hot through the sump plug.

I have a Pela extractor here, and I could see why you would use it to do an interim oil change yourself between official services (as they are too long) but personally I think there is no substitute for draining the oil the proper way.

·
Banned
3,110 Posts
Now I can really understand why CHANGE ENGINE OIL MESSAGE threads are so popular here...
:biglaugh:
What are average budget costs for dedicated pump and oil service ( labour ) ex dealer???...
Do you also replace oil filter for interim own oil service???...
How do you utilize used oil comes from own service???...

·
Registered
38,274 Posts
The pump costs around £40, oil costs generally speaking around £30 for 5 litres.

Not sure what that is in Roubles.

Personally I would always change the filter with the oil.

The service intervals on many Alfas over here is now 21,000 miles. That is a very long way on one lot of oil, and is bound to have negative effects on engine life.

Our local refuse centres usually have waste oil collection, or in many places the normal refuse recycling collection lorry will take it as long as it is bottled up and labeled.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts