Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1301 - 1317 of 1317 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I still believe on 2.2 engine...the slow u drive the dangerous u deal with. This engine is very good on speed mode and not for snail move ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a hesitation issue on my 2.2 for a year - sluggishness at highway speeds but idling was fine and smooth. Also throttle response was slower than usual, need to prod the accelerator harder to get the revs up. CEL not lighted but reading the ECU codes during service intervals showed misfires on cylinder 1. I tried everything over the year (sparkplugs, cleaning the MAF, new airfilter, injector cleaners but nothing worked) - finally replacing at the coilpack at mileage 198,000 kms fixed it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, it's over a year since the last post on this thread but I've just bought a 2007 159 2.2 jts. I've only had it a week and like most people only really noticed any hesitation after getting used to the car. The car only has 38k on the clock and I don't think it has ever had the timing chain changed. Do Auto Delta still do the remaps for the 2.2's? Has anyone had a remap recently? Do you think I should change the timing chain?

Cheers,

Ash

·
Premium Member
45,092 Posts
So, it's over a year since the last post on this thread but I've just bought a 2007 159 2.2 jts. I've only had it a week and like most people only really noticed any hesitation after getting used to the car. The car only has 38k on the clock and I don't think it has ever had the timing chain changed. Do Auto Delta still do the remaps for the 2.2's? Has anyone had a remap recently? Do you think I should change the timing chain?

Cheers,

Ash
The cam timing sensors are very sensitive, if you have timing issues you'll get a light on the dash.

Freeing up the exhaust works wonders, the original backboxes are terrible. A fuel-based treatment also helps, as the injectors lose their accurate spray pattern over time. Also, when was it last serviced, do you know how old the air filter is? Does it have the correct spark plugs fitted, how old are they?

These days I find 2.2 JTS running issues are mostly just typical 'old car issues' related to servicing and things not being completely correct with the car, rather than anything else, most of them are 10 years old already.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have a 2.2 Brera S and have never had any issues at all with the engine.

Celtic Tuning is a good company that will sort out the flat spots and you can always negotiate with them on the price of the remap.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

Cheers,

Ash
I'm in the same boat as you,having just bought a 2.2 spider.Have been reading all the remap threads,wondering if i should, as i'm getting an over-rev when going from 1st to 2nd and a bit of a flat spot around 4k revs. Engine has no fault codes on MES,but as i was going through the screens (actually trying to sort a hood fault ,not engine) i noticed it was showing -40c for the intake temp.So this morning i unplugged the maf and went for a test drive.Despite all sorts of warning lights coming on ,the engine ran like a dream.Flat spot completely gone,and over-rev so slight as to be unnoticable.So new maf ordered and i'll see how it goes from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's interesting. I do get an over rev between 1st and 2nd but I think that may be where I am driving around the flat spot in the low revs. I did try turning the VDC/ACR off on the way to work yesterday as I had read something about it on this thread. I did notice a slight difference but may have been psychological. The car has a full dealer service history, bar it's last service which was done by a used car dealer so I think I'll do my own service although I'm away at sea for a month now. I've heard that a decent air filter helps so I'll try that aswell. I think preserving my subframe is doing to have to take priority of things to fix first though. Does anyone know any reputable tuners that can do a remap in the West Sussex area?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just bought a 2.2 Spider as my daily. Plan to sell it in the Spring.
Have mostly been driving autos of late, so the flat spots in the standard map
were a bit of a surprise and I thought it was down to me.
My first Alfa and may be my last. Never driven a car which jumps from a flat spot
into over revving so much and driven all sorts and makes of vehicles over
thirty seven years. I test drove another Spider before I bought this car and it was
exactly the same.
My 300TDi Defender is silky smooth in comparison!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just bought a 2.2 Spider as my daily. Plan to sell it in the Spring.
Have mostly been driving autos of late, so the flat spots in the standard map
were a bit of a surprise and I thought it was down to me.
My first Alfa and may be my last. Never driven a car which jumps from a flat spot
into over revving so much and driven all sorts and makes of vehicles over
thirty seven years. I test drove another Spider before I bought this car and it was
exactly the same.
My 300TDi Defender is silky smooth in comparison!
You purchased a convertible for the winter?

2.2 JTS is the most unpredictable engine I've come across. Thankfully, it comes encased in that gorgeous Brera styling, so I suffer the odd drive characterisitics.
However, once you're used to it, you can be somewhat pleased with the performance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You purchased a convertible for the winter?
However, once you're used to it, you can be somewhat pleased with the performance.
I bought it to flip it.
And winter can be a great time to drive a convertible.
Clear dark night. Top down. Stars above. Motown playing.
Can be the most memorable driving you'll ever do.
If I was going to keep it, I'd have to get it remapped. Hesitates wildly when cold.
Flat spots when pulling away and then over revs.
I love Pininfarina styling, but this thing sounds .......well, it sounds of nothing
and it accelerates like an OAP.
But in Cobalt Blue it never fails to get admiring looks :)

·
Registered
608 Posts
easy to fix the flatspot, just drill the hole in the exhaust back box through the tips and its sorted

doubt coil packs need doing but would recommend bosch plugs

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I tried the suggestion regarding drilling a hole in the back boxes. Didn't make any difference as far as I could tell. I just had a Brera with a couple of extra holes in the exhaust. Later I had a custom exhaust made by Wizard which more or less solved the problem and greatly improved the sound. A good remap helps as well. I had one done on a rolling road and it improved the power slightly and the engine felt much looser. However, the flat spot was made worse if anything. On a later Brera 2.2 I used Celtic Tuning for a remap where they come to you and tweak the engine map and that was much better.
I was told that the inlet manifold was a terrible bit of engineering but it's hidden away and there aren't many companies that offer a custom one. Whether that was true I can't say.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I bought it to flip it.
And winter can be a great time to drive a convertible.
Clear dark night. Top down. Stars above. Motown playing.
Can be the most memorable driving you'll ever do.
If I was going to keep it, I'd have to get it remapped. Hesitates wildly when cold.
Flat spots when pulling away and then over revs.
I love Pininfarina styling, but this thing sounds .......well, it sounds of nothing
and it accelerates like an OAP.
But in Cobalt Blue it never fails to get admiring looks :)
Flat spots at high revs, hesitating when cold and poor acceleration could be the inlet valves clogging up with sooty sludge, I've just cleaned mine and it cured these very problems and even improved the exhaust note! Will be putting up a post about it soonly...

1301 - 1317 of 1317 Posts