Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1317 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 159 2.2 JTS that I bought used from an Alfa Dealer. I'm experiencing a need for higher than expected revs when setting off from a standstill and a lack of torque with some hesitation/flat spots low down in the rev range. I took it back to Alfa and they claim there's nothing wrong and this is a characteristic of the engine. Must say, If this is so I'm disappointed (and frankly sceptiical as their analysis equipment doesn't test the engine under load).

The 2.0 powerplant in my old 156 didn't share this "characteristic". Have others experienced this problem?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
re: 2.2 JTS hesitation - now with new IMPORTANT information & escalation details

It's the same for everyone. Auto Delta do a map to improve low speed driving.

·
Registered
322 Posts
re: 2.2 JTS hesitation - now with new IMPORTANT information & escalation details

You need to get it remapped it will be much better i hear.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts

Why Alfa don't do a map upgrade is beyond me though!

N

·
0 Posts

Yup, This is how the car is meant to be. :rolleyes:

The only fix available so far is to have a chat with
AutoDelta and get their super silky smooth remap
loaded.

Not a cheap remap, but I wouldn't drive a 2.2
for very long without it. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the advice, much apprectiated.

Talked to Auto Delta as a result, and Jano sounded very helpful. Unfortunately the fix involves a 600 mile round journey from the grim north so I'll have to wait for suitable excuse to visit the big smoke (unless the improved service promised from my local alfa dealer when selling the car includes taking it to there for me:rolleyes: )

·
Registered
33 Posts

Yes my 2.2 Brera is just the same, is there not any other dealers that can remap them.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts

I've learnt to drive around it but it can still make me look like Maureen off Driving School if I'm not concentrating:eek:

Filled with V Power today. It runs so much better on the good stuff mind you:)

·
Registered
5,179 Posts

I'm driving a lovely 2.2 JTS GT at the moment (on loan), dont notice it being too bad off the line.

You do need to finesse the clutch a bit but nothing to funny I thought.

It is a little gutless low down in second, but I think 1st is very Zingy :)

The sound isn't quite as cultured as the T-spark but it has a pleasant enough burble, and certainly better than most modern mainstream 4 cylinder cars.

BTW did you consider posting your ECU to Jano, after discussion fo course ;)
This was possible for GTA ECUs at least, but the remapping process could be different for JTS ECUs.

·
Premium Member
45,092 Posts

I'm driving a lovely 2.2 JTS GT at the moment (on loan),
Just to confirm - a GT with a 2.2 engine? Is this another Trailbraker special? Please spill the beans :D

·
Registered
5,179 Posts

Doh typo, 2.0 JTS of course! :)

But I think the GT would fly with a 2.2 JTS :lol:

N

·
0 Posts

You do need to finesse the clutch a bit but nothing to funny I thought.
It's specifically a 2.2 issues.
The engine lurches around 1100rpm

To be honest you adapt to it by keeping
the revs away from 1100-1300rpm band
by booting through it or maybe dipping the clutch
and blipping the throttle when you feel
it going.

But once you've experienced a remapped
car, the standard mapped car is almost
undriveable in stop-start traffic compared to it.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts

I have a 159 2.2 JTS that I bought used from an Alfa Dealer. I'm experiencing a need for higher than expected revs when setting off from a standstill and a lack of torque with some hesitation/flat spots low down in the rev range. I took it back to Alfa and they claim there's nothing wrong and this is a characteristic of the engine. Must say, If this is so I'm disappointed (and frankly sceptiical as their analysis equipment doesn't test the engine under load).

The 2.0 powerplant in my old 156 did'nt share this "characteristic". Have others experienced this problem?
I'm not sure this is right. I had the GTV 2.0 and moved to Brera 2.2 JTS. There's definitely a lot more torque in the low end of the 2.2, although there is one funny spot at around 1600-1800 revs where basically the power climbs really really steeply so if you come off the power abruptly the car jerks if in gear. What you are describing may or may not be normal???

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

I have the hesitation, and flat spots, it is a typical problem.
I can't imagine any other premium car brand releasing a car with this problem and not updating the mapping

·
Registered
30,126 Posts

I have the hesitation, and flat spots, it is a typical problem.
I can't imagine any other premium car brand releasing a car with this problem and not updating the mapping
Agreed. I reckon they must be helping old Jano out:lol:

·
Registered
5,559 Posts

Perhaps they updated the map at the factory between yours and mine? Mine was manufactured Mar 07. Was yours earlier?

My fiancee is getting a 2.2 Spider next month (so presumably around Mar 08 manufacture). Will be interesting to see if the map is the same as mine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I sent my dealer a link to the thread, before checking the poor spelling and grammar! However, they did get in touch and said in the region of 10% of owners comment on the problem and that Alfa still don't consider it serious enough for a recall. I'm disappointed at this response, especially as they consider themselves a premium brand.

N

·
0 Posts

I'd assume they've stopped development/support
for the 2.2 and as they'll be replacing it next
year they're just gonna let it ride.

There is so obviously an issue. They got away
with "you have to drive it in a certain way"
to start with. (I fell for it) but now there is a
definitive fix (aftermarket) out there they've
been caught with their pants down.

That 10% figure sounds like pure made-up stats.

I can't be bothered to do another poll,
someone else do it ;)

1 - 20 of 1317 Posts