Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having one or two power issues with my 2.2 JTS since taking ownership (1750, 2.4 and 3.2 owners can stop smirking I don't mean lack of power :biglaugh:)

Essentially even with the remap the dyno run was showing the car had a lumpy power curve which didn't make sense, also the engine would make the occasional rough running sound, not mechanical but almost an airflow issue.

It was hit and miss, I changed variators, cleaned solenoids in line with fault codes, replaced the air filter, engine flush, remap etc. etc.

and then two weeks ago the car started chirping in the multi-storey car park. It sounded like air but I could not work out where from. I lifted the dipstick while the engine was running and the noise became louder and more constant. Anyway my favourite garage looked at it and instantly identified a loose cap on the top of the inlet manifold, thinking it was a broken tab, lifting it slightly made the noise worse.

I removed the cap yesterday and inside it was filled with traces of a cream coloured oil. Not good, but suspect there was water ingress due to the loose cap. I have cleaned it all out and replaced the rubber gasket and pushed the cap down tight ensuring each tab is clipped tight - and it was a bugger to do this.

Engine is now quieter, and runs smoother than before. There is definately also more torque. I'm guessing that the whole problem was simply one of getting air into the engine!? Will get back on the dyno and post the before and after when I can. :beer:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Could you please clarify if the chirping noise was constantly on, or faded a while after driving?

I have had a weird noise coming from the engine bay, more like a whistle, not related to the speed of the car, but rather with the rpm of the engine. It happens for a few Km after the car is started when cold. In my case there is no funny power issues related to the noise, but it is discomforting not to know where it is coming from.

Upon examination, my garage suggested that the filter in the power steering tank might in some cases produce a similar noise. Pump and aux belts where fine. I have changed PAS fluids and the noise seems to be gone, but according to the garage one has to change the tank as well. There is a video here which discusses the PAS tank filter issue.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The sound makes the rubber membrane in the PCV valve on top of the inlet manifold. Torn or not correctly aligned. The moisture mixed with oil is normal at this time of year (yellow goo). Just clean it regularly.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could you please clarify if the chirping noise was constantly on, or faded a while after driving?

I have had a weird noise coming from the engine bay, more like a whistle, not related to the speed of the car, but rather with the rpm of the engine. It happens for a few Km after the car is started when cold. In my case there is no funny power issues related to the noise, but it is discomforting not to know where it is coming from.

Upon examination, my garage suggested that the filter in the power steering tank might in some cases produce a similar noise. Pump and aux belts where fine. I have changed PAS fluids and the noise seems to be gone, but according to the garage one has to change the tank as well. There is a video here which discusses the PAS tank filter issue.
Hi yes the noise was intermittent, and more noticeable when the vehicle was idling.

My PAS does making high pitched noise on full lock, but this is more of a mechanical noise compared to an airflow type sound that I was experiencing.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you maybe post a photo of where on the inlet manifold this cap is located please?
My 2.2 suffers from similar symptoms.
It's the cap between the first and second ribs at the top of the air intake manifold. Hope this helps.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts