Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 145QV and on enqiring was told that a set of spark plugs will cost me £175!!!!

Is this infact the case and does anyone know if there are any alternatives?

Ragards,

·
Registered
649 Posts
Is this infact the case and does anyone know if there are any alternatives?

Ragards,[/QB]

Try going somewhere where they aren't trying to rip you off. Quality spark plugs should only cost about £5 each.
Are you just looking for the plugs or to get them fitted as well?

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
Is that for the whole shebbang (8 plugs) as some of them are platinum tipped and last forever.

I never bought any of those - Bosch do a natty 4-electrode jobbie that come in at £4 each.

Ralf S.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
at that price,i would think the, to be platinum tipped, price inc of fitting and vat. kinda mathces a price i was told for mine, still doesnt help getting over the shock, hust be thankfull it is just needed every 60kmiles i think..

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did think that price was a little excessive and I am seeking alternative, but I was interested in seeing how other owners have faired.

Thank you all for you input and I will keep you posted.

Regards,

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check out alfa155.com there is a similiar discussion going on at the mo'("plugs, are they solid gold?") with some suggestions for alternatives and cheaper places.

wrinx

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The spark plugs are the best way of telling if your engine's healthy.....the idea of leaving them in for 60K miles is ridiculous, 20K at a maximum.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think platinum tipped plugs combined with an efficiently managed engine means there's no reason why they wouldn't last 60,000 miles. Aren't modern engines great!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you do want to keep using Platinum plugs, splifire do an equivalent that comes in for about $60 for the set of 8. You can order them from the states on www.splitfire.com.

It's still a good idea to have a look at the plugs every 20k miles though, platinum are only fitted to keep the first few services cheap. The only place that they're worth using is if you have a V6 mondeo where you can't get at the bloody things.......

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
My local motor factors can supply NGK platinum tipped plugs for around about £8 inc, I would have thought most factors would be a lot less than the living evil that goes by the name of Alfa dealership. (They quoted £25 each ho ho!). Good luck, do you need a special tool to reach them, they seem a bit buried.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do the non-platinum tipped plugs have the same heat rating as the Alfa approved ones? What with the twin spark being a 'lean-burn' set up the heat rating is important. I assume that both sets of plugs do not fire at exactly the same time.... unlike piston aero-engines which do (they use two seperate ignition systems for redundancy reasons).

If you are concerned about the plug performance you could always whip one out and see what it looks like... any modern Haynes manual should have a diagnostic chart for ailing plugs... Easy to say isn't it!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello all from WAY down here in NZ!!

Had this plug dilemma meself. A bit of research with sparkys here and my mechanic led me to install 8 BOSCH FR56 4electode plugs. So far.....excellent!!

Hope this helps. Has also cure a small misfire at @ 2000rpm

Oliver

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The plug gap is 0.8mm.

You can get Splitfire platinum plugs from Demon Tweeks for £80 a set. The part numbers ar TP430C and TP392A. If you want to keep the costs right down you can use copper cores, SF430C and SF392A, they are exactly the same heat rating, but need changing more often (the platinum ones are guaranteed for 100k miles).

You don't need a special tool, just a Torx to get the cover and coil packs off, v.cheap plug spanners won't fit because they won't go down the holes.

The plugs do fire in pairs, each coil pack fires two plugs (in different bores), and are wasted spark (fire on the exhaust stroke as well).

As a final word, check them every 20k, no matter what they're made of !!!!!

Whatever you do, don't let your dealer charge £200, it takes 15 minutes to do yourself.......

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My 155 1.8 ts 16v is due it's 60k service now, and is still running on the original plugs, no problem. If you bear in mind that standard plugs would cost around £30 a set, and would need replacing 5 or 6 times in 60k miles, genuine platinum ones, proper spec (no worrying about heat damage etc.) don't look a bad bet after all. Alfashop (www.alfashop.co.uk) sell the plugs for £13, totalling £104. Five sets of cheap plugs (every 12K) would cost you £150!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It can be a false economy replacing 4 or 5 sets to one set of genuine platinum's however they do last depending on driving style and IMO most last nearer 50k than 60k however, one can appreciate not everyone can afford the set as quoted in the dealership!

We have discussed this numerous times on 155 as mentioned on a previous post so have a look there. Those who do wish to buy a set of 8 genuine platinum plugs at Alfa though should try Ian at www.alfasalv.co.uk as he will send you a set considerably cheaper than the £13 each that Alfa shop or the Main dealer charge, I know him personally and is as sound as they come.

Hope some of this helps someone!!!

Regards

M.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Wait until AROC national day and try Mangoletsi or some of the others for all sorts of service items, filters etc. you should find it a good day out and very worth-while.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts