Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a 1996 GTV with the CF1 2.0TS engine.

It's developed an issue where it loses power when it gets up to operating temperature.

When it's cold, it accelerates fine, but once the engine is warmed up, it loses power. Eventually in 1st gear it takes 4-5 seconds to reach 6k rpm.

Foot to the floor in 4th, and it won't rev above 4k rpm.

The engine will rev freely while out if gear.

No funny noises, no misfiring, just almost halving of power.

Would a cracked exhaust manifold cause this? It had a crack someone had welded up, but I'm sure I can hear a leak. Possibly crack expanding when hot, causing the lambda readings to be thrown off?

New air filter fitted and no leaked etc.

New stainless exhaust from manifold back, currently has decat section fitted, but lambdas are still fitted in front pipe as before.

Cambelt changed 6 months ago.

Second hand good MAF fitted.

Was running fine, then all of a sudden this issue.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have had some similar warm running issues and fixed it after finding a hidden split in the air intake pipe underneath near the maf, and by changing the maf. The maf contains an air temp sensor.... It might be worth checking through this...

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've got a 1996 GTV with the CF1 2.0TS engine.

It's developed an issue where it loses power when it gets up to operating temperature.

When it's cold, it accelerates fine, but once the engine is warmed up, it loses power. Eventually in 1st gear it takes 4-5 seconds to reach 6k rpm.

Foot to the floor in 4th, and it won't rev above 4k rpm.

The engine will rev freely while out if gear.

No funny noises, no misfiring, just almost halving of power.

Would a cracked exhaust manifold cause this? It had a crack someone had welded up, but I'm sure I can hear a leak. Possibly crack expanding when hot, causing the lambda readings to be thrown off?

New air filter fitted and no leaked etc.

New stainless exhaust from manifold back, currently has decat section fitted, but lambdas are still fitted in front pipe as before.

Cambelt changed 6 months ago.

Second hand good MAF fitted.

Was running fine, then all of a sudden this issue.
Check your spark plugs, I had one with a cracked insulator. Was fine when cool but when warm up to temperature it would lose power. Not quite the same symptons but worth a check.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Come to think of it I also found plug hole #1 nearest the cam belt to be half full of water, no idea why, it has happened to others too ...... This causes bad running problems when warm....

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed the plugs around 6 months ago, but will check again.

When the weather gets a bit better I'm going to take the whole front end apart, change the manifold, change the radiator, and probably replace the complete intake pipe and fit a new filter housing.

If that sorts the problem, then to change the front and rear brakes, underseal it all, and then take it for its MOT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts