Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've moved back from the dark side! After three years pulling up to the black pump, I've gone green! So I bet you're thinking 'I wouldn't have done that', it'll be like driving a moped...actually with 16" wheels it looks like a moped!

Ok so unless you've actually tried it yourself it doesn't feel such a change as you might imagine.

Interior:

Cloth trim v half leather: it feels as if it grips you better

Light v dark headlining: brightens the whole interior - it feels 'taller??'

Magnesio grey dash v brushed aluminium: well this is personal I suppose

auto lights/wipers/parking sensors v none: just feels more grown up

blank v aluminium tread strips: missing those!

aluminium pedals v rubber: I had a spare set!!

exterior:

body colour door mirrors v chrome: It doesn't look like a Volvo anymore!

Light headlights v dark: How much for a pair of dark??

16" v 17"/18" wheels: They look small yes, but the ride is transformed

sills v sideskirts: I liked the sideskirts but they were just a bit fussy, the fluting along their length sort of grates with the plain curve of the doors.

normal v lowered suspension: same as wheels: function over form

2.0Jtdm v 1.4tb: interesting this one, the petrol seems so smooth, stop/start is imperceptible, hasn't yet seemed underpowered (but then I haven't yet used the loud pedal in anger), but it doesn't have the horizon sucking performance of the diesel. It isn't quite as economical either and it isn't as brutal.

So in conclusion definitely a different take on the Giulietta which I suppose if you are buying a new car is important in that it feels different, but oddly it feels more relaxing to drive.

What about a multiair! I hear you shout; well I just couldn't find the right one for me. Should I have waited? maybe - will I be a frustrated tb driver?? Not necessarily - I read that the tb can be mapped to 160bhp, giving it multiair like performance.

So....so far so good. We'll see how we get on!

G

·
Now you understand . I always find the sound of a diesel coming from a Giulietta incongruous .
I have heard the 120hp petrol is quite pleasant . What colour did you get?
The people on the market find my car noisily spectacular when I drop the missus off! Sounds much better in Etna Black! Grrrr!:cheese:

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now you understand . I always find the sound of a diesel coming from a Giulietta incongruous .
I have heard the 120hp petrol is quite pleasant . What colour did you get?
White - I thought it was quite apt for a move from the dark side! As far as the engine is concerned I can confirm that it is quite pleasant - even with double digit mileage and three up it didn't feel overwhelmed: put your foot down and there is still a shove in your back sufficient to feel sprightly

Andypj, you deserve your own motoring show for "horizon sucking performance"!! I have the diesel and in D mode it is a surprise at times at how eager it can be!
I think that the 170Jtdm is a bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing, because when you decide to go for it, overtaken cars do disappear quite quickly. The one thing I cannot get over is how much lighter and more nimble the car feels - not particularly the steering, but the gearchange and the way it accelerates/decelerates/turns. I can only compare it to moving an empty oil can with a full one. I didn't think 100kg would make that much difference

·
Registered
169 Posts
White - I thought it was quite apt for a move from the dark side! As far as the engine is concerned I can confirm that it is quite pleasant - even with double digit mileage and three up it didn't feel overwhelmed: put your foot down and there is still a shove in your back sufficient to feel sprightly

I think that the 170Jtdm is a bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing, because when you decide to go for it, overtaken cars do disappear quite quickly. The one thing I cannot get over is how much lighter and more nimble the car feels - not particularly the steering, but the gearchange and the way it accelerates/decelerates/turns. I can only compare it to moving an empty oil can with a full one. I didn't think 100kg would make that much difference
I doubt that mine has a 100kg difference but when I had a 170ma as a courtesy car I really noticed this, you are spot on. Everything has less inertia about it. Not just the handling but the gear change and well, just about everything about it was nimbler. Given the choice I would go petrol every time but the miles I do the economics just don't work.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
strange as they use the same gearbox and gear selector mechanisms.

the 2.0 does have stronger springs up front though: all 2.0 jtdm share the same springs up front, even the sportiva/veloce. the rear springs are different depending on the trim. I suppose the tougher front springs could make the car feel different

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's just really odd how much lighter it feels. I remember reading somewhere where a road tester had said this but they really are very different. I had petrol and diesel 159s and there was never this kind of difference.....mind you the 159 was heavy!!

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well mine won't be quite as nice as yours cue, but I am very impressed with the way it goes down the road. 80 to 120 in 5th, faster than a Civic type R!!!!

·
Registered
42,170 Posts
Well mine won't be quite as nice as yours cue, but I am very impressed with the way it goes down the road. 80 to 120 in 5th, faster than a Civic type R!!!!
It's pretty similar Andy!
Looks pretty odd with std wheels (for winter) and Carbon mirror caps though. But the fabric looks great with the carbon knob and the dark brushed metal dash.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought you might be still on your 'winter setup'! I'm beginning to wonder why I bothered changing my 17s to 18s because on the standard 16s it rides really well - it doesn't crash over bumps, it feels really smooth, doesn't feel floaty at all. It doesn't seem to suffer from a lack of grip either, in spite of the narrower tyres. It makes me think more and more about what it would be like on 17s with 205/50/17s. That would be expensive now though! ....and of course it's difficult to know whether the improvement is from wheels & tyres or suspension - but being able to sample both on the same car one after the other, you've got a better idea than most.

·
Registered
42,170 Posts
Yep. The 18" wheels are total vanity. The bulgy wall 16s are grippy , comfy and a lot less worry near the Kerbs but make the metal above the wheel arch look thick. Look at racing cars though with their big tall rubber sidewalls!
I'll still put the bigger wheels back on when the weather gets better.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
24 Posts
Although this convo was the beginning of the year (where HAS it gone!)..the OP is a kind of relief in some ways.

Had my sights on a 2nd hand Volvo V40 R Design but have you seen the prices!!? Then I realised I wasn't going to be able to afford one just yet. Didn't want a Golf, Audi or BMW as an equivalent package of what I was looking for cost at least £2-3k more than I could get in the Alfas. Besides, I wanted something different.

So, I took the plunge and bought an Alfa G but in the Lusso. I say 'but' because I really wanted the Veloce trim 2.0jdtm 140. However, all the ones that suited my requirements and budget were over 100 miles away and, not having a car for over 2 months, it was gonna cost a fortune in train or hire car fees.

Interestingly, I was never a fan of leather trim until I had the Volvo C30 with it's half leather seats. Going back to the cloth now seems, well, a bit of a come down. I also miss the metal kick plate and pedals. However.....the Lusso has Bose (not as good as the Volvo Premier which is really, really good for a 'standard' system), xenon, 17" round things and the usual Lusso refinements. It's also the right engine for me (2.0jdtm 1400. Oh, and the white dash. You may laugh but I'm colour blind and I thought it was silver as it was a sunny day!!

So, after much deliberation I finally shook hands on the Lusso. Compromise, my friends kept telling me so that is what I've done. The dealer knocked down the price £300, is chucking in some proper Alfa mats worth £69 (which the car didn't have), free GuardX on the car (c£250 they say although it's probably no more than a rather expensive clean and polish!), extended 3 year plan B RAC warranty for the price of plan A and touch ups on a few inconsequential little bonnet chips (they hadn't noticed them but I made a whiney fuss so they're gonna do them as well). The warranty bit I like as I find it easier to sell on the car, which I like to do at 18months. All in all, I'd have paid c£2.5k more for a Veloce with the same extras, mileage and year so will now hopefully enjoy 18 months of the Alfa experience!!

Having moaned about all that, the car itself drove great and I had a smile whilst whizzing round in it. The diesel is not as noisy as a Golf 2.0tdi another dealer tried to flog me nor the new Focus. And it is certainly quieter than the tractor pieces fitted to the Vauxhalls and even to the Audi that clanks up in the mornings on the road outside.

Just need some metal kick plates from a breakers yard and perhaps some metal or new pedal pads now! :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
....Just need some metal kick plates from a breakers yard and perhaps some metal or new pedal pads now! :lol:
Keep your eye out on ebay and you'll be surprised what turns up!

·
Registered
42,170 Posts
Sounds good . I bought a Lusso new three and a bit years ago and with illuminated metal treadplates plus the metal Veloce dash I like the cloth . Oh and the carbon knob etc.
isn't the Vauxhall tractor engine bought from Fiat power train ? I experienced it in an insignia recently and it seemed rougher than the same thing in a Giulietta .
Congrats

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds good . I bought a Lusso new three and a bit years ago and with illuminated metal treadplates plus the metal Veloce dash I like the cloth . Oh and the carbon knob etc.
isn't the Vauxhall tractor engine bought from Fiat power train ? I experienced it in an insignia recently and it seemed rougher than the same thing in a Giulietta .
Congrats
Not sure but i took two Vauxhall's out 1.7diesel and 2.0 (160bhp) and I was really surprised how bad they sounded including the Insignia as you experienced.

I like the idea of getting the tread plates put on and even the metal foot pads. I'll see what I can find. It's got the red callipers as well and one previous owner with fsh (2011 reg) so I shouldn't really grumble :)

1 - 20 of 172 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.