Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I nearly stripped the sump plug thread last oil change, it juuuuust tightened enough to hold, and so need to perform a thread repair during the next change. But can anybody tell me what the thread size is of the plug? I couldn't find a definitive answer. 1997 Spider Phase 1.5 CF1 2.0TS.

Thanks in advance,
James.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I had the same problem and use a vacuum pump to change the oil. The pipe goes down the dipstick tube and I can get just shy of 4 litres out. I change the oil every 6 months so don’t worry about the last half litre. At some point I’ll look at replacing the sump or a timesert/helicoil but it’s not a priority. Added bonus you don’t get covered in hot oil removing the sump plug. The pump was about £20 on Amazon. I’ll see if I can find a link.

Reactions: Hobson284

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be fair I bought one for this purpose, used it changing the oil on the Mito, albeit had to buy some smaller diameter hose first as the hose it came with was way too big for the dipstick tube! I'm just toying with the idea of sorting it properly. My oil is 12 months old now, but still looks decent to be honest, even though I know that's not a very good way of judging it's effectiveness. I must also have one of the few twinsparks not to use any oil.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I had to get some thinner tubing to fit down the dipstick tube. I’m more inclined to change the oil with the pump as I barely get my hands dirty. I don’t know if you can helicoil or timesert the thread with the sump in situ.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You would be able to, you'd pack the tap with grease to trap the swarf and flush some oil through too to push any errant chips through, but it's certainly not ideal. Pump it is then!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Stripped the sump drain plug thread on my phase 1 Spider. Managed to repair it by re-tapping to next size up which is M20. Lot of repair kits about if interested, just google for: Oil sump repair kit M20 x 1.5.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi,

Try the self threading sump plug bung from Alfa Workshop at £1.44.

I had the same problem with my Spider and this bung worked a treat. Its cheap enough to give it a go before you try something more invasive to the sump.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts