Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm intending changing engines in a '98 GTV. From reading the existing threads I believe the 162.01 engine in the car is a CF1 and the one supplied by the breaker is a 323.01 which would be a CF2, am I right so far ? My understanding is that despite all the ancillaries, manifolding, wiring and sensors being different the actual motor is basically the same and if I take the time to swap over all those components from the dead engine to the replacement one I should be on a winner. Can the GTV aficionados among you confirm or correct me please.

T.H.O.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,322 Posts
Not much help to you on the oily bits but the CF 1 engine has a metal head cover and the CF 2 is plastic, might help to know what you are dealing with.

Sorry I can't help on the details but I'm pretty sure that there are people on here who can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help on that. Next one to pick your collective brains with is this : the engine from the breaker has had the timing belts removed so I have to re-time this CF2 from scratch. Any advice or am I on my own with that one ? And finally - the belts were removed so they could sell the oil pump which means I have to get a new one. My local dealer tells me there are several possible pumps : is that true and if so how do I narrow down which one it's going to be without donor vehicle details ?

T.H.O.

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Just dropped you an email with how I do the timing, and links to how I learnt to do the timing!

If you want any help/info, give me a call. I've got the kit required, but I'm going to be needing it myself over the next week or two. (I have a crank-shaft replacement to do :eek:).

Cheers,

Iain

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would be disturbed if i bought an engine with the timing belt removed,whilst its common practise that any guarantee given on a secondhand engine is on the condition the belt is replaced its very strange the belt has been taken off,from experience you buy an engine with a guarantee that it works and if it does not you get a refund.When you start getting engines that are stripped to this point where you cant even turn it over through two cycles with a spanner on the crank you could be doing a lot of work for nothing!! These engines are quite valuable complete probably around £350 (thats what ive obtained for my last three sold this year)so why does a breaker sell its oil pump for possibly 30 quid which effectively devalues the engine far more than this sum.Sorry but i would take it apart and check it out rather than simply refit it all, you may think im cynical in my old age but another 3-4 hours now may save you lots of time and money rebuilding a duff engine.Ive purchased plenty of 145/146 cars off ebay for a few hundred with good engines but other serious faults rendering them cheap cars with engines you can test for a month or more before transfering them or simply keeping them to one side.Take a step back and consider my thoughts as i hope to be helpfull.Ive sold over 20 twinspark engines in the last few years and have had good feedback from private individuals and garages i would not dream of selling an engine less its belt and oil pump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorted.

Yeah, but I love a challenge. If it was easy, girls could do it !

I had a fair amount of trouble initially sourcing bits and technical info but another local Alfa owner stepped up to the mark and helped me out, firstly with a pump and then with the technical bits I needed to fill in the gaps - cheers, Iain.

My first problem was getting the wheels off. They were fitted with Trilok bi-pentagonal headed bolts ( star drive I believe they call them ) and the owner didn't have the wheel key adaptor for them. So I had to dismantle the suspension from inside the wheels to get the engine in and out. There was some interesting vocabulary dispensed during that part of the operation. Hope he never gets a puncture .......

But we have a 99% success story. The car is now running again and the engine sounds sweet and has plenty of poke with no extraneous noises or damp patches. The original inlet ducting at the throttle body had been all wrapped up with duct tape because the bellows were badly torn. Apparently they are no longer available from the dealer. I made up a short term replacement but if anyone's got a trunking I would be happy to hear from you, either a CF1 or CF2 would do, I'll make it fit. Secondly is the fact that the management light doesn't want to go out, yet the engine revs happily to 7 and sounds fine, even the idle is spot on.

Duncan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts