Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's few - maybe zero - other 2.0 TB owners active on the 166 forum but thought to share on my drive back to Sofia today from Bulgaria's southern Black Sea coast, where we had a very pleasant week. From the village of Varvara back to home in Sofia was 463kms, of which around 370kms is on the motorway which starts at the coastal city of Bourgas and goes all the way to Sofia, with not a toll-booth to be seen.

Average speed for the journey was around 115kph - the first 50kms along the coast was slow going, averaged 55kph, and then another 10kms to get across Bourgas. Once on the motorway, where the speed limit is 140kph (87mph) but there's no meaningful surveillance, I maintained 140-180kph, mostly 160kph. I have a functioning cruise control but prefer not to use it. I used the air-con sparingly - after stops, with outside temperature around 35C. There was a lot of slowing down/speeding up with quite heavy holiday traffic (plates from all over Europe, even one from Estonia).

Anyway, overall fuel consumption for the trip was 11.2l/100kms - or 25.22mpg in UK money. Not flash but the TB wasn't created for its economy and I'm not bothered. It was a blast.

Reactions: Mufasa

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Is the 2.0Tb a 12 valve engine?
I think the 12 valve engines are better on fuel than the 24v.

My 166 24v averaged 26.5 mpg on a recent trip to Germany...1500 miles mixed driving...but only an hour or so above 100mph.
Got the old thing up to 146mph and there was more to come but had to back off and never really got another clear bit of road.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, it's the 12V. I know from past observation of the 'Trip' display on ICS that maintaining a steady 100kph (60mph) on the open road produces consumption of low 8l/100km - 34-35mpg. It's getting it up over 140kph and keeping it there which sees the number inexorably rise. But that's the fun part :)

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
the 3.0 sits very happily at about 4,000 revs...which is 100-115 mph. It could sit there all day.
Consumption doesn't suffer that much at those speeds...still does mid-twenties.

60mph for more than a minute is a killer in a 166 haha..

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
..I bought my 164 TB in Italy many years ago and drove her back to Dublin. The only part of the trip that came in under budget was the fuel :)

Not that I'd call her economical or anything, but at motorway speeds the good aerodynamics of the big Alfas play their part..

·
Registered
Alfa 166 2,0 tb151kw
1 Posts
I've bought an 2,0tb, did'nt driven much yet but cosumption seems to be the same.
Right the way, i think you saw my coworker in Estonia that day, he goes in Bulgaria every summer, he's actually bulgarian living in Estonia
Greetings,

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've bought an 2,0tb, did'nt driven much yet but cosumption seems to be the same.
Right the way, i think you saw my coworker in Estonia that day, he goes in Bulgaria every summer, he's actually bulgarian living in Estonia
Greetings,
And greetings to you Rosso. I imagine it was your colleague I passed - very rare to see plates from the Baltics down in this part of Europe. (I wish I could stop looking at the plate of just about every other car on the road, to see where they're from, but I can't :) )

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
the 3.0 sits very happily at about 4,000 revs...which is 100-115 mph. It could sit there all day.
Consumption doesn't suffer that much at those speeds...still does mid-twenties.

60mph for more than a minute is a killer in a 166 haha..
I laughed at this Gorie!
I have a Jekyll and Hyde driving style.
I'll happily tootle along at 60mph in fuel saving mode, then at
other times I'll drive it like I stole it. Especially if you bury it in third....:smoker:

Reactions: goremohekan
1 - 8 of 8 Posts