Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, the lack of replies regarding the tuning box has put me off the idea. So i'm looking at another route..

Dpf delete down pipe, around 140 sterling delivered, and a remap to deactivate regens, disable egr, and a stage one remap.

Remap is provided by a company called topgear tuning and they claim 170bhp and 420nm torque up from 140/350 on a stock engine. I also have a larger intercooler already fitted (malta is a hot country, currently 34 outside), k&n filter, and gutted backbox that is really now a straight pipe from the inside (just covered with original muffler to look stock). I will also of course have the dpf and cat delete that will help further so it's intersting to see what the results will be..

Since it's a 2.0 140 I will also remove swirl flaps at the intake manifold.

Ideas/opinions? Ready to hear everything :)

·
Registered
38,682 Posts
I would be tempted to upgrade to stock 170bhp spec and go from there.

I think the 170 has a larger turbo and lacks restrictions in the inlet compared to the 140

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be tempted to upgrade to stock 170bhp spec and go from there.

I think the 170 has a larger turbo and lacks restrictions in the inlet compared to the 140
what do you mean by "upgrade to stock 170 spec" ? hardwarewise or tune? i'm very happy with this particular car and I've had it for two years without any major problems so I do not wish to replace it. also the 140 means that I pay less road tax due to lower CO2 emissions.

·
Registered
38,682 Posts
Upgrade the hardware on your car.

It should be pretty easy to swap the parts over from a crashed/scrapped 170 to give yours the same output.

I am pretty sure it is just the inlet manifold and the turbo which are the only hardware differences. Then with a map you should get well over 200bhp

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Injectors are different as well from what I'm told. I'm keeping stock turbo as it spools up way quicker than the one from the 170. I've driven both back to back and i really appreciate the lack of lag on the 140. If it gives up after the remap, i'll upgrade to a better one, probably a hybrid

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
38,682 Posts
Injectors are different as well from what I'm told. I'm keeping stock turbo as it spools up way quicker than the one from the 170. I've driven both back to back and i really appreciate the lack of lag on the 140. If it gives up after the remap, i'll upgrade to a better one, probably a hybrid

You will find with the larger turbo that you will loose some pull at the bottom. But you do gain more power at the top end. The 170 keeps pulling right up to the limiter at around 4500rpm, where as the 140 runs out of puff sooner.

It is of course a compromise whichever route you take, but by fitting a larger intercooler you are going to increase lag anyway. With a larger turbo you wouldn't need such a large intercooler as it can flow more air without heating it up so much in the first place.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You will find with the larger turbo that you will loose some pull at the bottom. But you do gain more power at the top end. The 170 keeps pulling right up to the limiter at around 4500rpm, where as the 140 runs out of puff sooner.

It is of course a compromise whichever route you take, but by fitting a larger intercooler you are going to increase lag anyway. With a larger turbo you wouldn't need such a large intercooler as it can flow more air without heating it up so much in the first place.

The intercooler is larger in surface area but almost the same in volume, so the lag did not increase at all. I will keep your comments in mind though. Thanks for your input!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts