Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. Wonder if anyone has a good idea on this. Changed my thermostat a few weeks ago as the last one was sticking open. Now it's fine and get to 90 and stays there all day. But, the engine is pinking a bit now, under load, and when first coming on the throttle at light loads. I know the flexible joint in the front part of the exhaust is leaking a tiny bit. Could this be confusing the second lambda sensor and so getting the mixture a bit wrong? Pinking is normally timing related though. It's a CF3, with 64k miles. I'm using Bosch spark plugs at the moment as can't afford the ngk's! Only use 95 Ron.

It doesn't pink when the temperature is lower than 90, and didn't at all with the last thermostat as it never got hotter than about 80 degrees. It's not a rattle but its definitely a pre-detonation noise... Have had enough classics trying to struggle with unleaded to know the sound!

Any advice gratefully received.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Hi, check the bracket between the exhaust manifold to down pipe joint that goes onto the block, they crack and make a sound just like pinking.
you will need to take it off to check it, just a few 13mm bolts.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
...under load, and when first coming on the throttle at light loads.

It doesn't pink when the temperature is lower than 90...
It's not a rattle but its definitely a pre-detonation noise...
Hi, check the bracket between the exhaust manifold to down pipe joint that goes onto the block, they crack and make a sound just like pinking.
you will need to take it off to check it, just a few 13mm bolts.
Yep, check that bracket.

Had a hell of a job tracing it on mine back in 2002, garage couldn't hake it happen, but I could every time.
I eventually found it in 2003 while I had it on a ramp fitting a suspension brace!

Mine was a CF2, so slightly different bracket, but the later ones fail too.

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm well I've found this bracket, (thanks very much for the pics). I must confess to not being able to see all of the bracket, but have felt the whole thing with my hand. I can't feel that it's split or broken along it's length, and can feel the whole length of it. I think it's fine. I'll take off the bolt that goes into the block to confirm 100% though. If it's not broken it should not fall off :)

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Mine didn't look like it was broken until I unbolted it.
Noise stopped once it was removed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts