Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for my first 156 oil change. I've done a few over the years and have the stains on my drive way to prove it. However, I've got a couple of 156 specific questions:

1. What type of socket do I need for the plug?
2. Where is the oil filter and do I need a wheel off to get at it?

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Socket is either a ribe bit, or a hex bit (the last 2.0 was a fairly big hex bit - if you want the actual size, let me know and I'll go and check. The sump is in my garage!).

Oil filter is at the front of the engine. Very easy to get at. No need to remove a wheel :)

Cheers,

Iain

Edit: Thinking about it, I have a 1.8 and a 2.0 sump in my garage :)rolleyes:) so I can get both sizes for you :thumbs:

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

The car is a 51 plate 2.0 TS. I have lots of assorted hex bits (though never the one I need for some reason) but have never even heard of a ribe bit. If anyone does know the size I'd be very grateful as I need to buy one.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Thanks.

The car is a 51 plate 2.0 TS. I have lots of assorted hex bits (though never the one I need for some reason) but have never even heard of a ribe bit. If anyone does know the size I'd be very grateful as I need to buy one.
This is a "Ribe Bit" ......... Sort of splined.

ribe bit.jpg

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Ok, the 1.8's sump plug (which is smaller than the 2.0 sump plug - not sure if this is due to the engine size or year*) is an M9 ribe. The 2.0 takes a 12mm allan-key bit.

If you're considering doing any work on Alfas, invest in a set of ribe bits. It's essential. I got a 22-piece set (10 x short bits, 10 x long bits, 1/2" drive adapter and 1/4" drive adapter) online for about £18. Can't remember where from though...

You need extra-long ones if you ever want to take the sump off as well!

* 1.8 was a W/2000, 2.0 is a T-reg (97/98 afaik). Pretty sure my 1999 1.8 is a ribe as well.

·
Registered
37,369 Posts
If your car hasn't got the undertray, it is possible to change the oil without jacking it up.

All you need to do is find something like a cat litter tray to catch the oil. You can reach under the front far enough to remove the sump plug and oil filter no problem with the car on the ground.

My last 156 (2000 CF2) was an 8mm allen key. I remember as I obtained it specially.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got new pads to go on anyway so it might be easier to just put it up on the stands and do both jobs at once. Thanks to all for the replies.

..........Wanders off in the direction of ebay to search for ribe bits.

·
Registered
37,369 Posts

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts