Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There

I cleaned my throttle body (really needed it) taped up the air ducting between the body and the MAF (some cracking and a small hole) and checked the idle control stepper (on the side of the throttle body). Is that the same as the idle control valve that people speak about? Now the car idles a bit high at 1,000 rpm. I did notice as part of the throttle body assembly there is a screw on the cam near the return spring. It makes sense that having cleaned the crud out of the body that there would be increased airflow at very small throttle openings, so should I just back the screw off a fraction to bring the idle down or is it all managed electronically?

Many thanks

Berni

·
Registered
213 Posts
Learning

Before you do any more, I would simply drive it for a bit. The Bosch injection system "learns" and it may sort itself out. I certainly wouldn't play with the adjustment screw, it doesn't sound as though there is any reason for it to be out. The high idle is down to the Idle Speed Actuator which you've seen.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Fluctuating revs

Hi guys,

Mine also fluctuates badly especially when i,m slowing down and will take a while a idle for it to settle down, that is if it doesnt dies off. I even had the costly throttle replaced but to no avail. Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Hi guys,

Mine also fluctuates badly especially when i,m slowing down and will take a while a idle for it to settle down, that is if it doesnt dies off. I even had the costly throttle replaced but to no avail. Ideas anyone?
Thats when mine does it...when slowing down:confused:

·
Registered
213 Posts
The comedy tickover is usually the idle speed actuator, about £90 from memory.
Its easy to fit, three bolts and an electrical connector but you may have to plug it in to the diagnostics to do a full reset on the ECU which is a pain and cost me more than the part.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys

I have just got a cable from ebay, so will be doing the reset thing with my laptop soon. One thing, people talk about cleaning the actuator, but I looked in mine and it was spotless. In fact it is just a small electric motor and a gear. They also talk about an idle control valve... is that the same thing?

Also does anyone know of a good (= cheap) supplier of the first section of air ducting that fits onto the throttle body?

Many thanks

Berni

·
Registered
213 Posts
Berni,

Let us know how you get on with the cable. Presumably you refer to one that links into a laptop? Have you got the software?

As for the ducting, its probably going to be from a breaker

1 - 8 of 8 Posts