Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi AO's,

i am looking to change the cambelt on my 145 2.0 twinny, there is no 'diesel noise' on start up so would anyone suggest not changing the variator?

I have a timing kit and cam locking tools for the job, would you recommend changing anything else baring in mind the car has been stood for a year?????

Appreciate your help!

Rich.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
If it was me I would change the variator even if it appears quiet.

They have a habit of failing just after the belt change, so you end up doing the belt again.

It may also be worth changing the waterpump if it has never been done.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I would def change the variator, and i normally change the water pump and quite often the thermostat only becuase i tend to flush out the coolling system to clean sludge deposits out then i refill with distilled water and new anti freeze. It just makes sense to do it all if you are changing the water pump. Good luck i tend to take my time and have several tea brakes and it takes me about 5 hours don't rush it. A little tip when i have the bottome end all timed up on the mark and on the tdc guage and camlocks on befor i try putting the belt on i get someone to sit in the car with their foot hard on the brake pedal to stop the bottom end moving. Good luck :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ah cheers guys, appreciate it, dad normally does all this for me but hes not around to help sadly! Would you recommend changing balance shaft belts and aux belts??

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Balance belt and tensioner yes, aux belt and idlers, only if it looks / sounds bad. If the balance belt fails, it can take the cam belt with it so that is a must really.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah don't want that expense as well haha! already costing me a fortune....do you no how much I should be paying for say: water pump, variator, balance belt and tens?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
if you dont change it, it will likely start to rattle about a hundred miles after the change! Thats generally how it works in my experience :)

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
If you are very careful you can set the tensioners with a screwdriver.

It is very easy to damage the belts though if you get it wrong.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If you are very careful you can set the tensioners with a screwdriver.

It is very easy to damage the belts though if you get it wrong.
very difficult to do the tension with a screwdriver on the balance shaft belt. I would say the tension on this is as important and more difficult without the correct tool, if i could only afford one or the other i would by the tool for the balance shaft belt...

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
I have done 3 Balance shaft belt tensioners with a screwdriver.

It is difficult but I promise it can be done. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just bought a 156 2.4...is there any common fa....haha i mean what are the common faults? probably have a dealer look over it also, dont ya think?

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
just bought a 156 2.4...is there any common fa....haha i mean what are the common faults? probably have a dealer look over it also, dont ya think?
The front wishbones take a hammering due to the extra weight of the engine, and inner edge tyre wear is common.

Thermostats are a weak point on all italian cars as are radiators.

The dual mass flywheel can cause problems, normally but not always if the car has been driven with a slipping clutch.

There are probably a few other things, but I am not that clued up on the Diesel versions.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts

Dont miss the CAM belt change if your not sure if or when it was done then do it, also when changing the CAM belt replace the water pump...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts