Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new too the forums but heres a quick run down.
bottom end went 7 months ago on the beloved 156, its been sat in the garage ever since but now ive finally time to do a rebuild!
just wondered if anyone had a guide? even if just for bottom end rebuild?
also car is still running so does that mean right now only pistona are damaged or is the crankshaft done
thanks

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
It depends on what you mean by bottom end gone. If you think the shells have gone and you haven't driven it much the crank may be ok. You need to drop the sump and have a look. Either way the pistons should be ok again, unless it has been constantly driven with the problem.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
If it is just the "bottom end" you are probably looking at a crank regrind on the big-ends, new main and big-end shells (remember latter will now need oversized) and possibly a rod (or two).

When my big-end failed it didn't take much to damage the rod on one piston as the bearing shell spun.

New crank seals (obviously) ... and new gaskets for head.

If you haven't taken the head off before (and know it hasn't) you may get away without replacing the head bolts, but some of mine were obviously stretched as the last time was the third time mine was off since new. Check them carefully!

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Its likely to be a lot cheaper and easier to simply replace the engine with a known-good unit, to be honest.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts