Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to change the oil tonight. Sump plug VERY tight to undo and tight all the way.

Went to screw it back up and threads are knackered. Having looked closely at the sump plug it looks like the previous owner refitted and secured it with locktite or similar and used a thicker sealing washer so am very suspicious the damage was already there.

The owner needs the car and I have refitted as the previous mechanic did and it seems to have gone tight but I will not leave it like this. I have warned the owner that it is his risk to drive it without me doing permanent fix. I guess the car is worth about £500 and he is prepared to take the risk.

My intention is to buy the next size up taper tap, coat it with grease and carefully cut a larger thread. The grease should trap any aluminium pieces and if I cut one thread depth at a time, remove tap clean and regrease hopefully I will catch it all. Plus once finished cutting the thread I will refill and and immediately drain the oil so any small particles that do get into the sump should be flushed out.

So does anyone know what size the existing thread is please? Anyone done a similar repair?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
They're M18x1.5, loads of threads discussing the stripped sump plug problem.

Good luck

Pub

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems odd to me that the plug has the last 3 or threads wasted. Using 3 washers has allowed the existing plug to nip up because the plug threads are now on the remnants of the threads on the sump. Why did Alfa make the plug like that?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just ordered the tools and parts to tap out to M20 x 1.5. Won't be much fun doing it on my back under the car but I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Same problem!

I've not looked at it first hand as car lowered by previous owner so can't get underneath haven't got ramps etc.

Apparently the sump plug in there is not original.
Most of last year it leaked.
Got a new mechanic and bought online the tapered sump plug with large hex/ Allen key socket which looks like a grub screw as it has no collar.
My mech found out that it was too loose and that the bolt in there had no washer!!!
Even though I'd given my last (now ex) mech the proper washer.

So the bolt went back with a washer and I supplied some blue loctite type stuff. Done the trick so maybe it was heliocoiled before?

Anyway tapered screw (official Alfa part) spare if you want it!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts