Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been reading a thread in the general discussion forum about the best 4 pot engines, which got me wondering about Alfa's V6 compared to the 2.0 TS. In the past i had a 2.0 zetec mondeo and found this engine crisp and very punchey out of the corner,also overtaking in third gear was great happy to rev to the limit and never seemed to run out of power,a great engine for B roads.I then changed the car for the ST24 with the 2.5 V6 Duratec engine, but found that whilst it was very smooth and apparently faster it felt LAZY heavey into the corners and no punch comming out the other end.I am now the proud owner of a 2002 Alfa GTV 2.0 TS and again this engine is fantastic, loves to rev punchy superb on B roads and the noise it makes just encourages you to collect points.So i am now wondering having never driven Alfa,s 3.0V6 what it is like, is this engine more of a motorway cruiser? although faster on paper dose the smoothness of the engine mask performance???

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I've driven a twinny (156) and v6.

The v6 engine is a real thrill. Loads of power, great engine noise and looks like it should be hung in an art gallery!

It's similar to the twinny in that it is better up the rev band but it has plenty of torque meaning you can tootle around town in 3rd like it's an automatic! The 6 gears makes it a great cruiser.

The 220 bhp is at the very limit of what a FWD car can cope with (earlier models don't have traction control) and torque steer can be a problem when stonking it in low gears.

Common wisdom is that the TS GTV is better handling as it doesn't have as much engine weight up front. Also cheaper to insure and run.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have driven a 147 2.0 and own a 156 v6. One thing about the Alfa V6 motors are that they are very willing to rev and the sound is the best. The price to pay for all this pleasure is fuel consumption....its not very pretty. But complaining about that would be the same as buying a Ferrari and complaining the boot is to small.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I think its horses for courses. I've never driven a v6 GTV, but when discussing the merits of the V6 and TS with someone who's driven both he said that the V6 GTV had blinding acceleration. I'm sure the TS does feel less nose heavy though.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I think its horses for courses. I've never driven a v6 GTV, but when discussing the merits of the V6 and TS with someone who's driven both he said that the V6 GTV had blinding acceleration. I'm sure the TS does feel less nose heavy though.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Might have to wait till my local dealer has one for sale, will try and blag me a test drive, although GTV's becoming a rare sight these days!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I drove a v6 before buying the 2.0, and it was blindingly quick, more so that my brothers Civic Type R, which is no slouch. But in the end it came down to cost, and the amount of opportunities where I could take advantage of all that power, couldn't warrant the extra cost of owning one. Got the 2.0 and well happy with it, and has enough ooomph when I need it.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The 2.0TS is an engine that needs to be reved to get the most from it. The V6 has loads of torque and power so you dont need to rev it so hard to go quicker than the TS but when you do it really is a beast with a fantastic sound.

The V6 engine feels smoother than the TS engine too and with 220bhp there is no way you could mask the V6 GTV's huge performance

·
Registered
38,288 Posts
I have driven both and all I can say is if you drive the V6 you wont want the TS. The weight of the engine doesn't have too much of an effect on handling either, unlike in a 156.
The 3 litre v6 has far more torque than the 2.5 too so you don't have to rev the nuts off it, although you can do if you wish.
Its worth mentioning too that the 3 litre has an uprated rear suspension which uses rose joints instead of rubber bushes. The rubber bushes can wear and cause very expensive problems. (Knackered rear subframe)
Simon.

A

·
0 Posts
We have had both types between us. My view is that the 2.0 is the better of the two for everyday use as overall it is cheaper to run and maintain, but the 3.0 gives a thrill to drive like nothing else for an Alfa fan. Neither seem to be great on fuel around town, on a run the 3.0 seems to be ok, probably because you hardly need the lower gears once you are on the move,it has ample power right through the rev range and more than enough for most people when used to the full. I let a guy at work try the 3.0 and his comment was " thats just stupid".

R

·
0 Posts
The V6 doesn't feel right in the spider due to the less rigid frame. It feels less well balanced and less composed, and does indeed feel nose heavy. The GTV doesn't seem to suffer this problem so much due to the stiffer body, but that said I've never driven a GTV V6, only a Spider.

Conclusion.. If buying a spider, stick to TS. If buying a GTV, it's up to you.

B

·
0 Posts
:cool: The V6 is the GTV as it should be,no question.

..The TS is a bit of a compromise really,it's got the looks but you have to absolutely cane the bugger to make it go in a rapid fashion.

:eek: In short,I'd love to get a V6 but am spending £50 a week on fuel in my little TS.......and thats just getting to work and back,a steady plod up and down the M27.......a V6 would make going to work even more pointless :lol:

:( :( Bah! :)D )

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dam it!! I managed to convince myself that the 2.0TS was good enough, but now after reading your replies i think i want a V6 again....My wife will kill me!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've only driven the TS and am NOT going to drive or be driven in a V6.

Don't want to hear the orchestra or feel the power thanks very much.

I KNOW I'll love it and will forever want one which will then cost me the earth in fuel bills that I can't afford. :D

Sometimes you have to be happy with your lot!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's probably a good idea! Maybe in time i will look into it again,but for now will be happy with the TS.
Wonder if it's possable to get 200bhp from a T-spark?....any ideas?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Alfie GTV said:
That's probably a good idea! Maybe in time i will look into it again,but for now will be happy with the TS.
Wonder if it's possable to get 200bhp from a T-spark?....any ideas?

Alfie, the member known as Marko who is usually found in the 147/156 lounge has two-hundred and something bhp from his TS, it is now a 2.1litre I think.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts