Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's the water operating temp meant to be on a JTS? mine is always around 75deg once warmed up, but i've heard somewhere that it should be nearer 90deg? :confused: only time mine gets to 90 is in very heavy traffic or if i've been giving her a proper workout

i've also heard if the engine isn't operating at the right temp it can affect fuel economy, amongest other things?

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers david, need to get it looked at then. wish i'd known this a long time ago when it was still under warranty, as it's ALWAYS run at 75 ever since i got it but ho hum!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I guess your thermostat is shot................. Mine was doing the same thing.

I replaced it and now it sits at 90 ................. Definate improvemnt in fuel economy................ oil consumption.............. and drives much better..........

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
:lol: short and sweet ... but yes 90, although just because your gauge is reporting 75 doesn't mean that is the actual temperature, the temperuture your ECU is using is the key thing (if it is too low then it will go into cold start mode - i.e. choke on old cars, and therefore overfuel to get the car up to temp) ...

... best bet would be get your car plugged into alfadiag and see what temperature the ECU is using ... as the gauges are notoriously inaccurate ...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
cheers david, need to get it looked at then. wish i'd known this a long time ago when it was still under warranty, as it's ALWAYS run at 75 ever since i got it but ho hum!
If it is ALWAYS 75 then it almost certainly isn't your stat, also if you stat was shot then it would usually hover around 60 and then upto 90 in traffic ...

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I guess your thermostat is shot................. Mine was doing the same thing.

I replaced it and now it sits at 90 ................. Definate improvemnt in fuel economy................ oil consumption.............. and drives much better..........

Cheers to All
Peter
ditto!

:)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
My car used to ALWAYS sit at 75, so I changed the stat (and combined temperature sender) and now it it sits at 90, however I tested the stat that I removed from the car and it was fine so with mine it was probably just an earthing problem of the old sender ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts