Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 2004 156, 2.0 JTS. 165000 on thr clock. Looks mint on the outside. And it goes for 2750?. Really tempted to sell my JTD, add some cash and get it.

Friend had a TS that has been pretty reliable, so Im guessing theyre not bad if taken care of properly. I dont really drive a lot, mostly city drives to/from work, and an occasional trip to the countryside.

Are they notorious for being unreliable? My JTD is pretty great as far as the engine goes, but I fell in love with the facelift 156, and with the TS sound.

I reckon I could sell mine for 1750-2000?, so Id have to add about 1000? which isnt so crazy.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Again, cant edit. Its also a TI and has a Ragazzon exhaust.

Finally on PC: The price has JUST been lowered 15 minutes ago to 2500 euros. Really tempted. Asked him if he wishes to trade for my car + cash.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have no personal experience with jts but the general consensus is that they are good but more delicate than the TS and some suggest less reliable. Check alfaworkshop they may have details on the JTS.

Why would you want rid of your JTD for a JTS?

And shouldn't your diesel be worth more?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Having just purchased a 2.0 JTS I haven't had it long enough to determine reliability. That said I've not heard any horror stories above the normal: cambelts snapping etc etc.

Also own a TS for the last 12 years and it hasn't let me down once, mechanically. Had a few issues but not engine related. Think Alfas, more than most cars, rely on owner knowledge.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have no personal experience with jts but the general consensus is that they are good but more delicate than the TS and some suggest less reliable. Check alfaworkshop they may have details on the JTS.

Why would you want rid of your JTD for a JTS?

And shouldn't your diesel be worth more?
My JTD is a 2002 - JTS is 2004. My 147 is pre-facelift and the JTS is post-facelift (which looks awesome imo). And I kinda want a badass petrol car, since I never owned an awesome petrol car, and I don't want to get old and never drive fun cars.

Anyhow, cars like mine go for 1750-2500€.

It's also the prettiest (and cheapest) 156 facelift. It has TI equipment. I found a JTD for 3300€, looks real nice too but has cloth seats and, well, is a diesel. And the black color on the JTS looks so much better + the multispoke wheels.

Also the JTS has great service history. Big service done 25000 km ago. Oil, filters and sparks changed last month. DOT2016 tires with good tread. Ragazzon exhaust which is impossible to find here. It's in much better shape than my JTD is, which has also started rusting.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
owned both a TS, JTS and JTDm, currently have a 3.0 V6 GTV a 1.9 JTDm GT and two TS's in the stable one GTV and one Spider...the JTS was in an 05 plate GT, I purchased the car in 2012 with 37k on the clock and in my short ownership ( about 6 months and 8k miles) it required a cambelt kit (fine)including a variator at 40k!, but in addition an exhaust camshaft, a flexi pipe, used about a litre of 10/60 every 1000 miles, wasn't particularly economical ( combined 36mpg) and wasn't particularly powerful..not sure the claimed 165 BHP was all there.,it felt fragile, I always thought it might become problematic on the mileage i was doing, in retrospect I bought the wrong car for my needs at the time.

car was written off in a car park and although at the time I was annoyed in hindsight the lady that hit it in an otherwise empty car park did me a favour !!

didn't sound as good or rev like the TS does and seemed to need premium fuel to be completely happy.

if your mileage is 10k a year or less and you don't tend to drive in a ''spirited manner'' then it should be fine but don't expect blistering performance from it and keep an eye on the oil. 165k is on the high side but it implies it has been looked after or it would not still be on the road

given the 156 was available in many different guises (2.5 V6, 1.8,2.0 TS , 1.9 JTD and 2.4 JTD and of course the 3.2 GTA I would go for amost any other engine in that car..

hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
The one thing about car forums is there will such differing views/experiences, hence why I've never asked about reliability -- I just go with what I see, hear, service history... and gut feeling.

My 2.0 JTS goes like the clappers, impressive mid-rev grunt for a relatively small engine. Another person in my village has a GTV JTS and he hasn't had anything untoward happen.

I would advise the OP to see the car in the flesh - so to speak - and take it from there.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
owned both a TS, JTS and JTDm, currently have a 3.0 V6 GTV a 1.9 JTDm GT and two TS's in the stable one GTV and one Spider...the JTS was in an 05 plate GT, I purchased the car in 2012 with 37k on the clock and in my short ownership ( about 6 months and 8k miles) it required a cambelt kit (fine)including a variator at 40k!, but in addition an exhaust camshaft, a flexi pipe, used about a litre of 10/60 every 1000 miles, wasn't particularly economical ( combined 36mpg) and wasn't particularly powerful..not sure the claimed 165 BHP was all there.,it felt fragile, I always thought it might become problematic on the mileage i was doing, in retrospect I bought the wrong car for my needs at the time.

car was written off in a car park and although at the time I was annoyed in hindsight the lady that hit it in an otherwise empty car park did me a favour !!

didn't sound as good or rev like the TS does and seemed to need premium fuel to be completely happy.

if your mileage is 10k a year or less and you don't tend to drive in a ''spirited manner'' then it should be fine but don't expect blistering performance from it and keep an eye on the oil. 165k is on the high side but it implies it has been looked after or it would not still be on the road

given the 156 was available in many different guises (2.5 V6, 1.8,2.0 TS , 1.9 JTD and 2.4 JTD and of course the 3.2 GTA I would go for amost any other engine in that car..

hope this helps.
I have read similar experiences from a local forum. Power seems to escape and engine usually needs to be opened. However, it has great service history BUT it is 1000? cheaper than the other facelifts... It is classified as "urgent", so either he is in a strap for cash or he needs to get rid of it before something bad happens.

The one thing about car forums is there will such differing views/experiences, hence why I've never asked about reliability -- I just go with what I see, hear, service history... and gut feeling.

My 2.0 JTS goes like the clappers, impressive mid-rev grunt for a relatively small engine. Another person in my village has a GTV JTS and he hasn't had anything untoward happen.

I would advise the OP to see the car in the flesh - so to speak - and take it from there.
I would go see the car in a jiffy, if I had the money without needing to sell it first. Id have to drive a long-ish way to see it, and if I liked it, Id have to sell my car before he does.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I have read similar experiences from a local forum. Power seems to escape and engine usually needs to be opened. However, it has great service history BUT it is 1000? cheaper than the other facelifts... It is classified as "urgent", so either he is in a strap for cash or he needs to get rid of it before something bad happens.

I would go see the car in a jiffy, if I had the money without needing to sell it first. Id have to drive a long-ish way to see it, and if I liked it, Id have to sell my car before he does.
This is why I mentioned the impact a car forum has. You heard the similar issues on a local forum. You rarely see a thread about how wonderful their car(s) are. People generally only post when they have an issue or a complaint.

I know you need to sell your JTD, but I would just go and see this car and if you think it doesn't have enough oomph then the forum consensus is right. One way or another it'll put your mind at rest.

I've owned two TS SW for over a decade and I can't associate with many of the issues flag up. Not saying they are wrong, but for every dud car you come across there are a number of good ones.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is why I mentioned the impact a car forum has. You heard the similar issues on a local forum. You rarely see a thread about how wonderful their car(s) are. People generally only post when they have an issue or a complaint.

I know you need to sell your JTD, but I would just go and see this car and if you think it doesn't have enough oomph then the forum consensus is right. One way or another it'll put your mind at rest.

I've owned two TS SW for over a decade and I can't associate with many of the issues flag up. Not saying they are wrong, but for every dud car you come across there are a number of good ones.
Friend used to have a 145 QV 2.0 TS. He drove it for 5 years with minimal issues, but with regular and proper servicing. Didn't have issues until recently, it started dropping revs while driving and he sold it real cheap - apparently, it turns out it wasn't an expensive fix.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Friend used to have a 145 QV 2.0 TS. He drove it for 5 years with minimal issues, but with regular and proper servicing. Didn't have issues until recently, it started dropping revs while driving and he sold it real cheap - apparently, it turns out it wasn't an expensive fix.
I know I'm stating the obvious but any s/hand car purchase will carry elements of risk. Even brand new cars, regardless of brand, have their problems.

It is a hobby or interest can be gold or mold. Somehow the best we can hope is a satisfactory compromise.

When it comes to opinions on cars it can either enlighten or confuse.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
PP is correct that any used car purchase represents a risk..

Plenty of JTS owners seem happy enough, the one you are considering has high miles so they are clearly capable of them.

When I went to the Alfa workshop with my jts though I was told worn lobes on the jts camshaft was not uncommon ..in fact they had a few in stock !

The direct injection contaminates the oil thinning it and leading to premature top end wear on "some engines"

For the sake of balance though V6's have been known to blow HG's TS's are not without issues and the diesels have swirl flap and egr issues..

In short all the engines mentioned have weak spots.

It was simply my personal experience that my JTS gave me more issues on percentage of miles covered than any of my others Alfa's.

I also found it down on power and lacking any real character.

That said it's just an opinion and butt dyno and based on one person and one car.

If the car runs well,pulls well anx has had regular maintenance its likely you will be fine with it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I ran a 2004 JTS 156 for a couple of years without any issues with the engine itself although mine was close to 80000 miles when I sold it. Just remember to keep the oil topped up!
Personally I think that the one you are looking at seems expensive (compared to values in the UK) and assume that the 165000 is kms?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, my JTS is from May 2003 and has the oil consuption problem, i fill it up with 1l every 1000km.
I bought her in June 2014 and had good history of maintenance till 3 years back, the cambelt was changed in february 2014 with 141K km.
My costs until now:
It was leaking cooling water, the radiator was bad, changed it, still leaking.
The JTS have a plastic cooling pipe on the front, going from left to right over the exaust, which was leaking, changed it. problem solved.
Battery bad, changed it for second hand, still using it.
Minor selespeed problem, cleaned valve and changed oil, problem solved.
Last year i had some nasty grining sound comming from the left corner, it was the alternator sits under the power steering pump. changed it.
For the mot, 2 new front tires.
And this month after 3 years at 181K km, cambelt change, count on between 600,- and 900,- euro.
3 belts, 3 tentioners, waterpump and perhaps also the variator.
I flush the oil and put injection cleaner in the tank every year, and cleaning the throttle body inside helps too, to not get ecu faults.
The Jts does not like to drive in the city much, the carbon will close the inlet valves, if you still do that, then you need to take her every month out for a long drive so she can clean the inlet valves.
She also like to warming up for the first 10km, after she is warm enough you can enjoy the high revs from the ragazzon exaust.
So let the owner show you the maintenance history for at least 3 years, so you can see what is done what is not.
oh buy the way, i asked my mechaniek, who test drived my car, if it was lack of power, and he said no way it has all the power thats on paper.
Good luck.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had a 156 2.0JTS (165bhp) for 10 years. Very happy with it. It had 2 'moods' : some days it would drive nicely, with the odd splutter out of roundabouts, but you always wondered where some of the horses went. Other days it would set off like a scalded cat and you realise it had found all 165 horses that day. Never did figure out why, but it was character. Would still have it now if we didn't get a dog - they aren't keen on enclosed saloon boots!!

Traded in at over 100k miles. original exhaust. Only ever needed normal service items.

Edit: Forgot - the thermostat stuck open once, but that was an easy replacement.
Also, it did use some oil, but I was expecting this - the original dealer told me it would and this is normal. Nowhere near 1l per 1,000 miles though. That's too high!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will arrange to go look at it Saturday, or one of the workdays after 5, and then we'll see.

So things I need to check are if oil is leaking, if all power seems to be there and that's about it? Those are the main issues?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
PP is correct that any used car purchase represents a risk..

Plenty of JTS owners seem happy enough, the one you are considering has high miles so they are clearly capable of them.

When I went to the Alfa workshop with my jts though I was told worn lobes on the jts camshaft was not uncommon ..in fact they had a few in stock !

The direct injection contaminates the oil thinning it and leading to premature top end wear on "some engines"

For the sake of balance though V6's have been known to blow HG's TS's are not without issues and the diesels have swirl flap and egr issues..

In short all the engines mentioned have weak spots

It was simply my personal experience that my JTS gave me more issues on percentage of miles covered than any of my others Alfa's.

I also found it down on power and lacking any real character.

That said it's just an opinion and butt dyno and based on one person and one car.

If the car runs well,pulls well anx has had regular maintenance its likely you will be fine with it.

Good luck!
Yes, mine has needed a new camshaft recently due to worn lobe, seems it was run low on oil at some point, but as i always keep an eye on the oil level, can only put it down to the previous owner.

Its been quite good apart from that, very reliable, pulls very well, but yes, it does seem quite sensitive compared to some other cars i've owned

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Keeping an eye on oil levels is a given whether it's an Alfa or any other make. All I can say about my JTS oil is I topped it up when I purchased - albeit it was only a fortnight ago - and the level hasn't moved (checked this morning).

For the first couple of months I always check the oil level just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had a GTV 2.0 TS for 100.000 km ( 182000 in total ) = verry relyable. Now i have a JTS Spider.....................less more relyable.
When i purchased the spider it was standing still for 2 years and at that moment had 138.000 km. I have spend a year and a half finding out wat was wrong with the car. From the start it had hesitation when opening full throttle in every gear exept first gear. Faults given throtthle house, throttle pedal, misfires, lambda. First thing i did was putting in some injector cleaner and car was running much better butt not quit as it should be. Second thing was changing the throttle sensor.............no result at all. Then i cleaned the electrical circuit in the throttle sensor and things where better ( butt again not optimal )..............for about 500 km. Then contactspray on connector os throttle house, throttle pedal and ecu, again better butt not optimal. Then changed the spark plugs..... no result at all. Next i changed a coil............ yes, optimal for 1000 km. Then i changed a second coil and the car is now really as a car should be = verry good performance . Now 1 and 1/2 month and 2.000 km further everything is still allright.
Is the car quick? yes it is quicker than the TS .a real joy when it works fine butt as some others say keep up the oil level and dont rev it to much when cold + if you planning to do only short trips ( so the car stays +/- cold ) i should not buy it, it really needs longer trips at a certain speed to keep the combustion chamber/valves clean
Should i buy a JTS again.....................never. A TS yes imidiatly

1 - 20 of 25 Posts