Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if the jts engine is is known for using a lot of oil?

When i was using my V6 on a regular basis i very very rarely had to top up the oil on it but in 6000miles of driving my JTS ive had to put almost 2ltrs in it....there are no visable leaks and it doesnt smoke during driving...no unusual knocks or anything from the engine to suggest its on its way out and it only has 62,000 miles on it so its not excessivly high, was serviced 6000miles ago and regularly serviced up to that point

I have heard that some 2.0TS engines can drink the oil but its nothing to worry about but i thought id check for the JTS

·
Registered
553 Posts
we've got a 2003 jts that drinks like a fish just make sure you check her at least once a week. more than likely the piston rings. Lucas oil is ment to be a good investment. seeing as i work in a garage i get my oil for free anyway :p

·
Registered
221 Posts
have you tried using a more viscous oils i.e. 10W-60 instead of 5W-40

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you tried using a more viscous oils i.e. 10W-60 instead of 5W-40
Not tried it to be honest..... i dont tend to mess around with oil just go for the reccomended oil. How would changing to 10W-60 cut down the consumption?

·
Registered
29,993 Posts
Not tried it to be honest..... i dont tend to mess around with oil just go for the reccomended oil. How would changing to 10W-60 cut down the consumption?
10W60 IS the recommended oil for the 2.0JTS...!

What oil are you using?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
10-60w is what you need, i'm experimenting with my engine at the moment to see how much a freshly rebuilt engine will go thorugh 10-40w. When i first rebuilt the engine i didnt burn any oil using 10-60w and never had to top it up. I'm currently running 10-40w for a month or 1000miles to see how much is missing...

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After a bit more digging ive found that it is meant to be 10w60 but also ive noticed the sticker on my slam panel says 10w40 aswell :confused: strange but anyway ill be using 10w60 from now on :thumbs:

·
Registered
67 Posts
10-60w is what you need, i'm experimenting with my engine at the moment to see how much a freshly rebuilt engine will go thorugh 10-40w. When i first rebuilt the engine i didnt burn any oil using 10-60w and never had to top it up. I'm currently running 10-40w for a month or 1000miles to see how much is missing...
Have you found any reason to oil comsumption during rebuild? Oval cylenders or so? Have you put new pistons or only rings?

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
10W40 semi is TS oil, 10W60 synth is for JTS, your engine will burn more on 10w40 as all JTS do.
Strange...the info panel which is on the slam panel on my car says 10w40 or 5w40 as does the handbook....i did notice a comment in the handbook somewhere else saying 10w60 but it was sort of a passing comment in a different section of the book. Plus the FARSH which i have for the car, every single service throughout the cars life its had 10w40

·
Registered
36 Posts
Having a similar issue with my GT 2.0 JTS. 4 years old, serviced at 48k early September. FARSH to date. Not sure what oil they've used. Oil lamp started blinking about 1200 miles after service, checked and it was right down on the dipper. Topped it up with 10w40 (bloke in Halfords had never heard of 10w60 !) and 600 miles later, same thing happened. No obvious visible signs of oil in my parking space. However it does blow a bit of smoke at the top end of the rev range. Spoke to the service guy at the dealer I take it to and he said you can expect these engines to use about a litre of oil every 1000 miles. Must admit that although i've had to top it up before, it's never been to that extent. Until now. Gonna take it in anyway just in case (don't think the service guy wanted me to bring it in, but i'm no engine expert and things like this worry me).

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Having a similar issue with my GT 2.0 JTS. 4 years old, serviced at 48k early September. FARSH to date. Not sure what oil they've used. Oil lamp started blinking about 1200 miles after service, checked and it was right down on the dipper. Topped it up with 10w40 (bloke in Halfords had never heard of 10w60 !) and 600 miles later, same thing happened. No obvious visible signs of oil in my parking space. However it does blow a bit of smoke at the top end of the rev range. Spoke to the service guy at the dealer I take it to and he said you can expect these engines to use about a litre of oil every 1000 miles. Must admit that although i've had to top it up before, it's never been to that extent. Until now. Gonna take it in anyway just in case (don't think the service guy wanted me to bring it in, but i'm no engine expert and things like this worry me).
Well from the sounds of it they had put 10w 40 in, thats exactly how mine behaves. not used my car much over the past couple of weeks so not bothered to change to 10w 60 but going off what ive heard and researched then its definitely worth doing!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Taking it in to a different dealer tomorrow to have it looked at. Said the same though...litre of oil to 1000 miles. I'll see what they say about 10w60, but I think i'll try it anyway from what i've read.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've used Selenia Racing 10w-60, burns 1 litre per 2500km (1550 miles?), 71400 miles in clock. High oil consumption seems to be a feature, not a fault...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts